- Title: Denmark shuts its borders for one month to curb spread of coronavirus
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: NEAR MALMO, SWEDEN (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) ORESUND BRIDGE SEEN FROM THE SWEDISH SIDE SWEDEN-DENMARK BORDER (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) CARS TRAVELLING TOWARDS BORDER INTO DENMARK BORDER GUARDS CHECKING CAR BUSES AND CARS AT BORDER BORDER GUARDS CHECKING CAR VARIOUS OF BORDER GUARDS VIEW INSIDE TUNNEL ORESUND BRIDGE EUROPEAN DENMARK SIGN TRAFFIC ON ROAD ENTERING DENMARK
- Keywords: Coronavirus Germany Mette Frederiksen Oresund Bridge Sweden airport border closure
- Reuters ID: LVA001C50X553
- Location: NEAR MALMO, SWEDEN/ SWEDEN-DENMARK BORDER/ COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
- City: NEAR MALMO, SWEDEN/ SWEDEN-DENMARK BORDER/ COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
- Country: Denmark
- Duration: 00:00:50
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Denmark shut its borders to most foreign visitors on Saturday (March 14) for a month, in a move unprecedented in peacetime as part of efforts to halt the spread of coronavirus.
The restrictions came into force at 12 pm (1100 GMT) and will continue until at least April 13, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen announced on Friday (March 13) evening.
"All tourists, all travel, all vacations, and all foreigners who cannot demonstrate a credible reason to enter Denmark will be denied entrance at the Danish border," Frederiksen said.
Danish citizens and foreigners working in Denmark will still be free to enter and leave the country. The transport of goods, including foods, medicine and industry supplies, will also not be affected, she added.
The country of 5.7 million people has reported 801 confirmed cases of coronavirus so far and no deaths.
Large swathes of Denmark have been in lockdown since Thursday (March 12) after the government shut all schools and universities and sent home all public sector workers with non-critical jobs in an effort to curb the spread of the disease.
(Production: Mikael Nilsson, Ilze Filks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 16:35
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None