- Title: Empty city centre in Madrid on first day under lockdown
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC AT CIBELES SQUARE CARS DRIVING ON GRAN VIA IN CITY CENTRE WOMAN WALKING BY WOMAN WALKING HER DOG VIEW OF GRAN VIA MAN WITH DOGS CROSSING STREET CIBELES SQUARE EMPTY ENTRANCE TO METRO STATION MEN DELIVERING TAKE-AWAY FOOD CYCLING BY WEARING FACE MASK ENTRANCE TO METRO STATION BUS DRIVING IN STREET
- Keywords: Cibeles square Coronavirus Gran Via Madrid Spain empty streets lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55WKEF
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:01:13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Madrid's city centre was almost deserted on Sunday (March 15) with only a few people walking their dogs and some cars driving by on normally crowded streets around the Cibeles square and famous Gran Via.
Spain put its 47 million inhabitants under partial lockdown on Saturday (March 14) as part of a 15-day state of emergency to combat the coronavirus epidemic in Europe's second worst-affected country by the disease after Italy.
Effective immediately, all Spaniards must stay home except to buy food, medicines, go to work or to the hospital or for emergencies.
Bars, restaurants, and shops selling anything but food and other staples must shut down. All leisure and sports activities also have to close, including cinemas, theatres, swimming pools or football grounds.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Ulrike Heil)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 10:27
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None