- Title: Russians attend large church service as coronavirus spreads
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: KHABAROVSK, RUSSIA (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CHURCH SERVICE KHABAROVSK, RUSSIA (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CHURCH
- Keywords: Covid-19 Orthodox church church service coronavirus Russia mass gathering
- Reuters ID: LVA003C55X0ZR
- Location: KHABAROVSK AND UNKNOWN LOCATION, RUSSIA
- City: KHABAROVSK AND UNKNOWN LOCATION, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:00:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: Believers in Khabarovsk gathered for a large church service on Saturday (March 14) despite coronavirus fears.
People stood in lines to pray and kiss local icons as well a new relic which has recently been brought from Greece.
Kissing icons is a common practice in Orthodox church and is believed to have a healing effect. To reduce risks of spreading coronavirus the Holy Synod, regulating body of the Russian Orthodox Church has recommended disinfecting the surfaces of relics in church that churchgoers kiss and contact with.
In an interview about coronavirus to the Russian religion site "Jesus Portal" Metropolitan Archbishop Illarion, one of the most known figures of the Russian church said that those who take part in Eucharist receive divine protection. However, in some churches specials measures can still be applied, he said.
Russia says it has officially recorded 63 cases of coronavirus and that nobody has died. Local authorities advised precautionary measures which include disinfection of public places, limiting mass gatherings and quarantine for suspected cases. Currently there are no officially recorded cases in Khabarovsk.
(Production: Yuri Zolotaryov, Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 13:41
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None