- Title: Goa streets flood with colourful carnivals on Indian spring festival
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: PANAJI, GOA, INDIA (MARCH 14, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF ARTISTS DRESSED IN TRADITIONAL COASTAL INDIAN ATTIRES BEATING DRUMS VARIOUS OF ARTISTS HOLDING COLOURFUL FLAGS DANCING VARIOUS OF ARTISTS HOLDING PALANQUINS DANCING SPECTATORS GATHERED AS POLICE PERSONNEL STAND ARTISTS BEATING DRUMS SPECTATORS SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOREIGN TOURIST, DANIEL, SAYING: "Oh! It's very nice. It is the first timeâ€¦ so we never saw this kind of parades. So, it's fineâ€¦ a lot of dance, colourâ€¦it's perfect, it's very cool." ARTIST DRESSED AS HINDU GODDESS OF WAR, DURGA, POSING WITH TRIDENT IN HER HAND AS SHE RECREATES A SCENE FROM HINDU LEGEND SPECTATORS LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF ARTISTS DANCING ARTISTS WEARING FANCY COSTUMES AND HOLDING SWORDS PERFORMING 'GHODE-MORNI', OR THE HORSE DANCE SPECTATORS GATHERED ARTISTS HOLDING COLOURFUL FLAGS DANCING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) TOURIST, SAYING: "We are having a good experience after coming here. We are trying to discover the culture over here. They are celebrating it very nicelyâ€¦ each group is performing very nicely. We are feeling very good." VARIOUS OF ARTISTS BEATING DRUMS AND DANCING STATUE OF HINDU MONKEY GOD, HANUMAN TABLEAU OF BULL VARIOUS OF STATUES OF DEMONS STATUE OF HINDU LORD OF DESTRUCTION, SHIVA TABLEAUX
- Keywords: Goa God Hanuman Hindu India Shiva artists dance festival procession spring festival
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55VQDR
- Location: PANAJI, GOA, INDIA
- City: PANAJI, GOA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:02:23
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Story Text: Streets in Panaji town of India's western beach resort state Goa flooded with colourful processions on Saturday (March 14) as artists dressed in vibrant costumes danced to the beats of drum and sang folk songs as part of an ongoing 'Shigmo' festival that marks the onset of spring.
The 15-day-long Hindu festival, 'Shigmotsav', celebrates the beginning of spring and is a quintessential element of the state's culture. The celebrations included colourful street floats, folk music, and dances, including sword dance.
Hundreds of performers clad in traditional outfits and colourful turbans were seen playing drums and chanting the names of various Hindu deities and performing Goa's folk dances.
The parade also included martial art dances like 'Ghode-morni', or the horse dance, which is popular in the region.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 14:09
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None