- Title: Workers queue at Manila border checkpoints amid coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 16th March 2020
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (MARCH 16, 2020) (REUTERS) COMMUTERS IN MOTORCYCLES STUCK IN TRAFFIC BEFORE CHECKPOINT POLICE CHECKING BODY TEMPERATURES OF MOTORISTS IN QUEUE POLICE HAILING MOTORISTS TO STOP VARIOUS OF POLICE CHECKING WORKERS' BODY TEMPERATURES (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) MANILA RESIDENT, CLEMENTE NASEBA, SAYING: "It's hard for workers who are not able to go to work and are stuck at home. They don't have income, they can't buy food, their families will go hungry." WORKERS QUEUING UP AT CHECKPOINT WORKERS' LEGS IN QUEUE WORKER SHOWING PASSPORT AND ID TO POLICE WORKER PULLING DOWN FACE MASK AND SPEAKING TO POLICE (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) MANILA RESIDENT, CLEMENTE NASEBA, SAYING: "My son is a construction worker and his work is pending so he doesn't have a choice, he has no work." VARIOUS OF POLICE CHECK MOTORISTS' BODY TEMPERATURES AT CHECKPOINT
- Keywords: COVID-19 Duterte Manila Philippines coronavirus lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C5AUS7B
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Duration: 00:01:44
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Hundreds queued at checkpoints just outside of the Philippines' capital of Manila on Monday (March 16), the first day of work following a partial lockdown of the city.
Manila was placed on lockdown on Sunday (March 15) in an attempt to control the spread of the coronavirus after the number of recorded cases spiked from 6 to over 140 in the span of a week, most of which are in Metro Manila.
Commuters and workers queued for hours at police checkpoints as officials checked body temperatures and documents required to enter and exit the capital. Exemptions from the lockdown were given to workers, health personnel, authorised government officials, and people travelling for medical and humanitarian purposes.
The Philippines recorded four additional coronavirus deaths and 29 new cases, bringing the domestic tally of infections to 140 as of Monday.
(Production: Adrian Portugal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th March 2020 07:54
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None