- Title: Life slowly returns to normal in Beijing as virus worries ease
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SECURITY GUARD CHECKING PEOPLE'S BODY TEMPERATURE DELIVERYMEN WITH PACKAGES PEOPLE CROSSING STREET VARIOUS OF GIRL RIDING BIKE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 67-YEAR-OLD BEIJING RESIDENT WANG YUQIN, SAYING: "There are more people on the street than before. And there're more people on the bus too. There used to be only one or two people on the bus, and now there are more than a dozen people." REPORTER ASKING: AREN'T YOU AFRAID OF THE VIRUS? "I think the government has controlled it very well." PEOPLE CHATTING CHILD PLAYING MAN SMOKING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) BEIJING RESIDENT WANG XIN, SAYING: "I'm not worried about going out. What I'm worried about is whether people will remember the process (of preventing coronavirus) when they go out, to better protect themselves and everyone else. I hope people don't forget what we have done." PEOPLE CROSSING STREET VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LEAVING RESIDENTIAL COMPOUND (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 29-YEAR-OLD BEIJING RESIDENT WANG YUCHEN, SAYING: "Personally, I was quite anxious last week, because I have been under quarantine for a while and there was an anxious period. However, I've adjusted this week. I think everyone has similar feelings so they have been out getting fresh air nearby and coming down for the delivered food and packages." EMPTY SUBWAY STATION MAN GETTING INTO TRAIN (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 28-YEAR-OLD BEIJING RESIDENT XIAO GEN, SAYING: "I think it's basically under control. And now most of the cases that are increasing are imported. It looks like there're no more new domestic cases found. I think it's quite safe." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING IN THE TRAIN VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON TRAVELATOR IN THE SUBWAY STATION
- Keywords: Beijing China Virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69TJD3
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Duration: 00:03:27
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Life appears to be slowly returning to normal in Beijing, with people heading outside on Monday (March 23), amid the city's ramped-up measures to contain the number of cases arriving from abroad.
It comes as China reported a drop in its daily tally of new coronavirus cases, reversing four straight days of increases.
China had 39 new confirmed cases on Sunday (March 22), the National Health Commission said, down from 46 a day earlier.
All of them involved travelers arriving from abroad; many of them were Chinese students returning home.
The city of Beijing expanded measures to contain imported infections, diverting all international flights arriving from Monday to other airports in other cities, including Shanghai and as far west as Xian, where passengers will undergo virus screening.
(Production: Thomas Suen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 09:31
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None