- Title: South Korea reports fewest new coronavirus cases since Feb 29 peak
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: SEJONG, SOUTH KOREA (FILE) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SOUTH KOREAN GOVERNMENT COMPLEX SIGN READING (Korean/English): "GOVERNMENT COMPLEX SEJONG"
- Keywords: South Korea coronavirus death toll health ministry new cases
- Reuters ID: LVA002C69T93B
- Location: SEJONG, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEJONG, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Duration: 00:00:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: South Korea on Monday (March 23) reported its lowest number of new coronavirus cases since the peak so far on February 29 and the extended downward trend in daily infections has boosted hopes that Asia's largest outbreak outside of China may be abating.
The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said there were 64 new cases as of 0000 AM Monday (1500GMT March 22), taking the national tally to 8,961. The death toll rose by 7 to a total of 111 as of 1200 local time (0300 GMT).
The new numbers marked the 12th day in a row the country has posted new infections of around 100 or less, compared with the peak of 909 cases recorded on February 29.
In contrast, 257 patients were released from hospitals where they had been isolated for treatment, the KCDC said. South Korea posted more recoveries than new infections on March 13 for the first time since its first case was confirmed on January 20.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 04:46
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None