- Title: Ukrainian nightclub keeps party going online after coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) CLOTHING DESIGNER, 26, EDUARD STOLYAROV, SAYING: "I understood it today that one must simply try it (online party). Those people, who have never done it before or have any doubts, they should simply try it because it is really cool. The picture is not bright enough now (pointing at screen), but I have a feeling that boys are literally here. And it is something new which makes us closer. It is hard to explain, but that's how I see it." ANNA AND HER FRIEND DANCING WOMAN HOLDING CAT AND DANCING STREAM OF ONLINE PARTY BROADCASTED ON WALL VIA VIDEO PROJECTOR (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) KHARKIV PARTY GOER, 26, ANNA MORDAK, SAYING: "The situation is what it is. Circumstances changed a bit and it is cool to hang out in a new way and to spend these days." WINDOWS OF RESIDENTIAL BUILDING PEOPLE DANCING AT HOME
- Keywords: Kharkiv Ukraine coronavirus lockdown electronic music nightclub online parties
- Reuters ID: LVA009C69VWOP
- Location: KHARKIV, UKRAINE
- City: KHARKIV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Duration: 00:00:59
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Ukrainian DJ Olga Udovenko experienced a new coronavirus reality when she played music on Saturday (March 21) night in an empty nightclub in her hometown Kharkiv.
City's famous nightclub known under the name "Culture of Sound", where Olga is a permanent resident, came up with an idea to organise online parties which people can join remotely without leaving their houses and breaking quarantine.
It was already a second party online since Ukraine went under lockdown on March 17.
Olga, who plays a mix of different styles, said an experiment proved to be successful as some 2,000 people from all over Ukraine as well as United States, Italy and France joined the first party while offline parties usually attract no more than 300 people per night.
Saturday online party, which started at 1900GMT, turned into a music marathon and lasted for symbolical 36,6 hours - a number which corresponds to a temperature of a healthy person.
Eduard Stolyarov and his close friends danced to Olga's sets as video signal from the party was broadcasted on the wall in Eduard's living room via video projector.
Eduard said he felt as if DJs were playing in his house.
Ukraine reported seven coronavirus cases, including three lethal.
(Production: Vitaliy Hnidyy, Margaryta Chornokondratenko)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 17:28
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None