- Title: Hull of self-navigating Mayflower ship leaves Poland for UK
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: GDANSK, POLAND (RECENT - MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) TOP SHOT OF MAYFLOWER HULL UNDER CONSTRUCTION VARIOUS OF WORKERS WORKING VARIOUS OF WORKER WELDING VARIOUS OF FOUNDER AND CEO OF ALUSHIP TECHNOLOGY, GOETZ LINZENMEIER WALKING AT CONSTRUCTION HALL LINZENMEIER WALKING TOWARDS MAYFLOWER HULL (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CEO OF ALUSHIP TECHNOLOGY, GOETZ LINZENMEIER, SAYING: "It's a progress of mankind in engineering in (the way) that Mayflower was a wooden, commercial, lightly armed sailing vessel at that time and this Mayflower is a highly-sophisticated trimaran with even more sophisticated interior life, which is unmanned, which has artificial intelligence included and via satellite it is being driven from the UK." BOW OF THE SHIP UNDER CONSTRUCTION / TRIMARAN'S WING / WORKER WELDING VARIOUS OF WORKERS WORKING ON HULL (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CEO OF ALUSHIP TECHNOLOGY, GOETZ LINZENMEIER, SAYING: "This is very important for the future unmanned shipping which is coming up. We are already involved in two projects, in two pre-engineering phase which will become unmanned work-boats in the lengths of 35-39 metres. This is coming up, this is a short term future, next year." TOP SHOT OF MAYFLOWER SHIP UNDER CONSTRUCTION MAYFLOWER SHIP UNDER CONSTRUCTION VARIOUS OF WORKER SANDING VARIOUS OF WORKER WELDING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CEO OF ALUSHIP TECHNOLOGY, GOETZ LINZENMEIER, SAYING: "There is one common thing on both projects, this was really an adventure. Original Mayflower had people believing in, let's say, a special future and took their lives on risk. In this new Mayflower tour, this is also a technological adventure, fortunately, no life is at risk, it is unmanned, but it will be also very interesting technological adventure." VARIOUS OF WORKERS WORKING ON HULL GDANSK, POLAND (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) HULL BEING LIFTED BY CRANE VARIOUS OF HULL BEING PUT AT BACK OF TRUCK TRUCK WITH MAYFLOWER HULL DRIVING AW
- Keywords: Gdansk shipyard Mayflower voyage artificial intelligence trimaran boat
- Reuters ID: LVA002C6EVCQH
- Location: GDANSK, POLAND / ANIMATION / DEVON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / AT SEA NEAR PLYMOUTH, MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES
- City: GDANSK, POLAND / ANIMATION / DEVON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / AT SEA NEAR PLYMOUTH, MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES
- Country: Poland
- Duration: 00:04:27
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Information Technologies / Computer Sciences,Science
- Story Text: A hull designed in Gdansk, Poland set off for Plymouth in the UK on Tuesday (March 24), the first stage in a process that will see a ship self-navigate across the Atlantic to mark the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower voyage.
The original Mayflower ship transported 102 British settlers from England to America. They would become the first pilgrims to land there.
IBM and marine research organisation Promare have created the Mayflower Autonomous Ship which will use an 'AI Captain' to recreate the voyage with a 21st century twist.
"It's a progress of mankind in engineering in a way that Mayflower was a wooden, commercial, lightly armed sailing vessel at that time and this Mayflower is highly-sophisticated trimaran with even more sophisticated interior," said Goetz Linzenmeier, chairman and founder of Aluship, which built the hull in Gdansk.
The voyage across Atlantic is planned for September and it will likely become the first full-sized, fully autonomous vessel to cross the Atlantic, the organisers say.
"In this new Mayflower this is also a technological adventure, fortunately no life is at risk," said Linzenmeier.
(Production: Malgorzata Wojtunik, Dominik Starosz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 13:07
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None