Bolsonaro calls for "return to normality" after Brazil's biggest cities go into lockdownRecord ID: 1465839
- Title: Bolsonaro calls for "return to normality" after Brazil's biggest cities go into lockdown
- Date: 25th March 2020
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (MARCH 24, 2020) (ORIGINALLY SHOT IN PORTRAIT) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POTS AND PANS PROTEST BRASILIA, BRAZIL (MARCH 24, 2020) (ORIGINALLY SHOT IN PORTRAIT) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POTS AND PANS PROTEST (FROM 1:42)
- Keywords: Brasilia Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro Rio de Janeiro Sao Paulo coronavirus lockdown pandemic
- Reuters ID: LVA004C6JTLC7
- Location: BRASILIA + RIO DE JANEIRO + SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA + RIO DE JANEIRO + SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Duration: 00:00:22
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: VIDEO CONTAINS MATERIAL ORIGINALLY SHOT IN PORTRAIT
President Jair Bolsonaro called for a "return to normality" on Tuesday (March 24) after Brazil's biggest cities went into lockdown to stop the spread of coronavirus.
In his national address on Tuesday, Bolsonaro again described the coronavirus as "a little flu." Saying that due to his history athleticism, he would not be seriously affected by the virus.
So far, Bolsonaro has resisted calling for Brazilians to stay at home and for businesses to close because of his concerns about harming the economy.
Bolsonaro has also berated Brazilian governors and mayors who have taken such steps. He has called on Brazilians to fight the disease without bringing the economy to a halt.
Bolsonaro's approval ratings have taken a beating. A recent survey published by the Datafolha polling firm showed that just 34% of Brazilians polled thought the president's job performance was "great" or "good." That's the lowest level since he took office last year.
In recent days, residents of Sao Paulo, Rio and BrasÃlia have taken to banging on pot and pans at their windows and balconies, shouting "Bolsonaro Out."
(Production: Lisandra Paraguassu, Maria Pia Palermo, Pilar Olivares, Rodrigo Viga, Thales Carneiro, Sergio Queiroz, Leandra Camera, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th April 2020 02:02
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None