- Title: Mask vending machines appear on Polish streets as virus spreads
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: WARSAW, POLAND (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) MAN WALKING TOWARDS VENDING MACHINE ANTIBACTERIAL GEL INSIDE VENDING MACHINE SIGN ON VENDING MACHINE READING (Polish): "PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS. PROTECTIVE MASKS" MAN STANDING BY VENDING MACHINE VENDING MACHINE WITH MASKS, GLOVES AND ANTIBACTERIAL GELS STICKER WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE VENDING MACHINE WARSAW RESIDENT PAWEL KASPRZYCKI STANDING BY VENDING MACHINE KASPRZYCKI TAKING MASK OUT OF VENDING MACHINE (SOUNDBITE) (Polish) 67-YEAR-OLD WARSAW RESIDENT, PAWEL KASPRZYCKI, SAYING: "I think if it lasts any longer, this whole state of the epidemic, it would come in handy, I see a lot of people coming, there's interest." PEOPLE BUYING PROTECTIVE PRODUCTS FROM VENDING MACHINE MAN TAKING PRODUCT OUT OF VENDING MACHINE ANTIBACTERIAL GELS INSIDE VENDING MACHINE (SOUNDBITE) (Polish) 72-YEAR-OLD WARSAW RESIDENT, MACIEJ RAFALOWSKI, SAYING: "We found out from the internet that this vending machine was installed here in Sluzew nad Dolina (district of Warsaw) that's why we went out for a walk and came here to check it out and we bought two masks because we will need it. As you know starting from the next week, we will have to wear it (in public spaces)." WARSAW RESIDENT, JANINA BORUN LOOKING AT VENDING MACHINE VARIOUS OF BORUN PURCHASING PRODUCT FORM VENDING MACHINE STICKER ON VENDING MACHINE WITH SIGN READING (Polish): "RESPECT THIS VENDING MACHINE AND OUR WORK" (SOUNDBITE) (Polish) 69-YEAR-OLD WARSAW RESIDENT, JANINA BORUN, SAYING: "I have concerns for sure, that's why I am trying to protect myself, but I do not believe it helps 100 percent. I leave (my house) only when I have to and that's why I am afraid." VENDING MACHINE BUILDING WHERE VENDING MACHINE IS LOCATED
- Keywords: COVID-19 Poland coronavirus coronavirus epidemic disposable gloves medical masks obligatory face coverings vending machine
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WS3EV
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Duration: 00:02:14
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Seven vending machines that dispense face masks, gloves and sanitizers appeared on the streets of Poland this week and an additional several dozen of them are planned to be installed soon, the president of the Polish Vending Association said.
The initiative is applauded by the customers who said the machines would come in handy if the state of epidemic lasted longer.
The vending machines appeared as Poland extended its lockdown measures such as closing schools, hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, cinemas as well as parks and promenades to contain the spread of the coronavirus.
On top of these restrictions, as of April 16, all Poles are going to be required to cover their mouth and nose in public spaces, Polish Minister of Health Lukasz Szumowski said on Thursday (April 9).
By Friday (April 10), 5,742 people had been infected with the virus, with 175 dead in the country of 38 million people. The pandemic, which has infected over 1.5 million people worldwide, has begun taking its toll on economies with people from various sectors facing the threat of losing their job.
(Production: Jaroslaw Gawlowski, Lewis Macdonald, Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 15:29
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None