- Title: Good Friday prayers in India marred by coronavirus fears
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (APRIL 10, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF SACRED HEART CATHEDRAL CHURCH VARIOUS OF STATUE OF JESUS CHRIST AND HOLY CROSS ON TOP OF CHURCH BANNER READING, INFORMATION ABOUT SUSPENSION OF HOLY MASSES AND OTHER PUBLIC GATHERINGS, IN ENGLISH (SOUNDBITE) (English) SACRED HEART CATHEDRAL CHURCH PRIEST, SOLOMON GEORGE, SAYING: "In Indian setting also, we are also taking all the precautions. We have warned the people. We have communicated to the people, not to venture into the religious places, worship places. In their respective places in the houses, they should worship there and God is predominantly present everywhere." KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (APRIL 10, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) CHURCH PREMISES
- Keywords: Good Friday India church coronavirus lockdown prayers religion
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WQN9R
- Location: NEW DELHI/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:00:54
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: Churches across India remained shut on the occasion of what was a sombre and quiet Good Friday on April 10 as the country observes 21-day coronavirus lockdown to prevent a rapid spread of the infection.
Churches posted notices and hanged banners at gates, informing suspension of masses and other public gatherings. Local religious leaders asked devotees to pray from their homes.
"(There will be) no congregation or attending our services, either on Sundays or weekdays or specially this holy week," said Archbishop of Kolkata, Thomas D'Souza.
India has 5709 active cases of COVID-19 and 199 deaths from the infection.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 08:39
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None