- Title: India to extend nationwide lockdown to tackle coronavirus - state minister
- Date: 11th April 2020
- Summary: BENGALURU, KARNATAKA, INDIA (APRIL 11, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHIEF OF INDIA'S SOUTHERN KARNATAKA STATE, B. S. YEDIYURAPPA, SAYING: "Prime minister (Narendra Modi) told us we must not compromise on lockdown, and we are receiving suggestions to extend further 15 daysâ€¦ next 15 days we will relax lockdown in graded manner. He said in next one or two days government of India will announce guidelines for next 15 days.
- Keywords: Arvind Kejriwal B. S. Yediyurappa Bengaluru India Karnataka Manohar Lal Khattar Narendra Modi New Delhi coronavirus lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA002C91Q1QN
- Location: NEW DELHI/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/CHANDIGARH, INDIA/ INTERNET
- City: NEW DELHI/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/CHANDIGARH, INDIA/ INTERNET
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:00:34
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided to extend a nationwide lockdown to tackle the spread of the coronavirus, the Delhi state's chief minister said on Saturday (April 11), without saying how long the extension would be for.
Modi earlier in the day held a video conference call with several state ministers. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said Modi had "taken (a) correct decision to extend (the) lockdown", without sharing further details.
"If it is stopped now, all gains would be lost. To consolidate, it is imp (important) to extend it," Kejriwal said on Twitter.
India's 21-day lockdown ends on Tuesday but several states had urged Modi to extend it further, even as concerns have risen that the shutdown has put millions of poor people out of work and forced an exodus of migrant workers from cities to villages.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 2020 14:33
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None