- Title: Indonesia couple takes wedding online to keep coronavirus at bay
- Date: 11th April 2020
- Summary: TANGERANG, INDONESIA (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) GROOM MOHAMAD NURJAMAN / BRIDE UGI LESTARI WIDYA BAHRI SEATED IN CEREMONY WITH MASKS ON NURJAMAN SEATED IN FRONT OF SOLEMNIZING OFFICER, MOBILE PHONE BROADCASTING LIVE OF WEDDING CEREMONY NURJAMAN LOOKING ON SOLEMNIZING OFFICER HOLDING NURJAMAN'S GLOVED HAND MAN WEARING MASK TAKING PICTURES GLOVED HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) 31-YEAR-OLD GROOM, MOHAMAD NURJAMAN SAYING: "If you ask if we are disappointed, definitely. But we must accept, because this not only affects one or two people, it (affects) everyone, we just have to accept the situation as God will show us the right path, all we need to do is accept." BAHRI SEATED, LAPTOP SHOWING LIVE STREAM NURJAMAN SEATED, LAPTOP SHOWING LIVE STREAM COMPUTER SCREEN SHOWING BAHRI'S RELATIVES WATCHING THE CEREMONY RELATIVES AT HOME WATCHING WEDDING CEREMONY VARIOUS OF BAHRI'S AUNT PRAYING AS THEY WATCH THE CEREMONY (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) 24-YEAR-OLD BRIDE UGI LESTARI WIDYA BAHRI SAYING: "The purpose is to let all our family to witness (the ceremony) and share our happiness. Usually, in a normal ceremony, relatives and friends will come to witness the ceremony, but we'll rely on technology." VARIOUS OF NURJAMAN AND BAHRI WAVING TO WEBCAM TV SCREEN SHOWING NURJAMAN AND BAHRI WAVING BRIDE'S RELATIVES WATCHING WEDDING CEREMONY ON TV BRIDE'S AUNT HOLDING A SIGN READING (Bahasa Indonesia): "CONGRATULATIONS UGI AND JAMAL, WISHING YOU HAPPINESS AND LOVE TOGETHER. #STAYHOME" (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) BRIDE'S COUSIN, AULIA NITA NURWIDYA, 32, SAYING: "We are sad because we had arranged the wedding since a long time ago like the venue, catering, and others. And all of that had to be postponed (because of coronavirus), it's sad but we have to do it virtually. But thank god it went well." VARIOUS OF COUPLE HAVING THEIR PICTURES TAKEN ONE RELATIVE SPEAKING, ANOTHER RELATIVE CRYING ON SCREEN RELATIVES AND COUPLE STANDING AROUND COMPUTER
- Keywords: Indonesia coronavirus couple health wedding
- Reuters ID: LVA001C91P3RB
- Location: TANGERANG, INDONESIA
- City: TANGERANG, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Duration: 00:02:57
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Editors' Choice
- Story Text:For Indonesian couple Mohamad Nurjaman and Ugi Lestari Widya Bahri their wedding was meant to be the most important day of their lives, to be celebrated in front of hundreds of happy guests.
But the coronavirus pandemic has scuttled that plan and instead of exchanging vows in front of guests, the young couple on Friday (April 10) held a ceremony attended by eight close family members. Other relatives and friends watched a live stream of the 40-minute ceremony from the safety of their homes.
Although there is no official ban, Indonesian authority has warned against mass gatherings, including weddings, across the country to curb the spread of the new coronavirus after at least 3,512 people were infected and 306 died.
"If you ask if we are disappointed, definitely. But we must accept, because this not only affects one or two people... we just have to accept the situation," said 31-year-old Nurjaman after the traditional Muslim ceremony in Tangerang, neighbouring capital Jakarta.
"In a normal ceremony, relatives and friends will come to witness the ceremony, but now we'll rely on technology," said the 24-year-old bride Bahri.
The couple who have been dating for two years had started to plan their wedding last October. But because of the outbreak, the reception at an event hall in a university in Jakarta where 500 guests were expected on April 12, has been postponed indefinitely.
One of the bride's cousins watched the live stream from her living room, wearing the outfit she had picked out of the big day. Her mother held up a placard congratulating the couple.
"It's sad but we have to do it virtually. But thank god it went well," said the bride's cousin Aulia Nita Nurwidya.
(Production: Tommy Ardiansyah, Yuddy Cahya Budiman, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 2020 05:50
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None