- Title: SYRIA: Palestinan President Abbas arrives in Syria
- Date: 12th October 2008
- Summary: (BN14) DAMASCUS, SYRIA (OCTOBER 11, 2008) (REUTERS): PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS ARRIVING IN DAMASCUS PALESTINIAN DELEGATION SPOKESMAN FOR PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT NABIL ABU RUDAYNAH (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) NABIL ABU RUDAYNAH, PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT SPOKESMAN, SAYING: "The factions are in Cairo and the visit is to Syria and to President Bashar al-Assad in order to discuss the issues agreed on in the last visit three months ago." RUDAYNAH LEAVING
- Embargoed: 27th October 2008 16:06
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA6JDTCZZHCS22T0OJFIT5NMP38
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas arrives in Damascus to discuss infighting between his Fatah movement and rival Hamas and the Middle East peace process.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas arrived in Damascus on Saturday (October 11) to discuss efforts to reconcile his Fatah movement with Islamist Hamas rivals and peace talks with Israel.
Abbas' Spokesman Nabil Abu Rudaynah told Reuters that the Palestinian President will not meet with any Palestinian faction.
"The factions are in Cairo and the visit is to Syria and to President Bashar al-Assad in order to discuss the issues agreed on in the last visit three months ago," he said.
Abbas will meet Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Sunday (October 12) where they are expected to discuss recent meetings between Fatah and Hamas in Egypt.
Hamas, like other Palestinian factions, is based in Syria and Damascus has influence over the Fatah
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None