- Title: GAZA: Aftermaths of Israeli airstrike on rafah border with Egypt
- Date: 26th June 2010
- Summary: RAFAH, GAZA (JUNE 25, 2010) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AMBULANCES AT HOSPITAL WIDE OF AREA TARGETED BY AIRSTRIKE VIEW OR RUBBLE CAUSED BY STRIKE VARIOUS FO RUBBLE AND DAMAGE VARIOUS OF BORDER AREA VIEW OF EGYPTIAN WATCHTOWER ON OTHER SIDE OF THE BORDER WIDE OF BORDER WITH EGYPT SHOWING ON THE OTHER SIDE
- Embargoed: 11th July 2010 00:35
- Topics: War / Fighting
- Reuters ID: LVAB17HD10Q7DKBWJCVO3U362JWX
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: An Israeli airstrike hit a Rafah border area on Friday (June 25) at the dawn hours wounding one tunneller witnesses and media sources reported.
The area targeted is known for having many tunnels that run from Gaza into Egypt. Israel says these tunnels used to bring in weapons into the besieged Strip.
Meanwhile, Gaza's tunnels operators use them to smuggle various goods into the coastal strip, including food, cattle, fuel and weaponry.
Resident of the southern Gaza town of Rafah examined the damages caused to the tunnels that run between the Hamas-controlled territory and Egypt.
Israel placed a blockade on the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip two years ago after the Islamist group ousted President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah forces from the territory.
In late December 2008, Israel launched the military operation in Gaza with the state goal of punishing militants for mounting cross-border rocket and mortar attacks on Israel. The Israeli offensive killed 1,300 Palestinians and destroyed 5,000 houses, Palestinian officials in Gaza have said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None