- Title: Palestinians celebrate Eid al-Fitr amid coronavirus
- Date: 24th May 2020
- Summary: JERUSALEM (FILE) (REUTERS) DRONE FOOTAGE OF JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY, DOME OF THE ROCK SEEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY
- Embargoed: 7th June 2020 11:02
- Keywords: Eid Gaza Health Hebron Jerusalem Palestinians Ramadan West Bank coronavirus
- Location: JERUSALEM / HEBRON, WEST BANK, GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: JERUSALEM / HEBRON, WEST BANK, GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVA001CFAGQIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians in Jerusalem and Gaza attended Eid al-Fitr prayers on Sunday (May 24) marking the end of the month of Ramadan amid the coronvirus outbreak.
Prayers were held outside the closed Al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City with little observation of social distancing during prayers.
According to the Council of Islamic Waqf, prayers at the compound are expected to resume after the three-day Muslim holiday of Eid El-Fitr, roughly two months after closing to the general public.
Worshippers in Gaza prayed with masks covering their faces after the authorities allowed mosques to open and hold Eid prayers.
The Palestinian authorities in the West Bank imposed strict coronavirus restrictions, confining Palestinians mostly to their homes from Friday night until Monday night but some worshippers attended prayers in small numbers in the West Bank city of Hebron.
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Fadi Shana, Ilan Rosenberg, Yosri Al-Jamal, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None