- Title: Burundi pays last respects to former president Nkurunziza
- Date: 26th June 2020
- Summary: VEHICLE CARRYING NKURUNZIZA'S COFFIN AND PORTRAIT OF NKURUNZIZA SURROUNDED BY MEMBERS OF ARMED FORCES VARIOUS OF BURUNDI'S PRIME MINISTER ALAIN GUILLAUME BUNYONI (CENTRE) WATCHING BURUNDI'S PRESIDENT EVARISTE NDAYISHIMIYE AND HIS WIFE PAYING RESPECTS GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AT FUNERAL NKURUNZIZA'S WIFE, DENISE BUCUMI NKURUNZIZA DRESSED IN WHITE, PAYING RESPECTS GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS STANDING DURING FUNERAL
- Embargoed: 10th July 2020 15:31
- Keywords: Burundi Evariste Ndayishimiye Nkurunziza funeral Pierre Nkurunziza funeral
- Location: GITEGA, BURUNDI
- City: GITEGA, BURUNDI
- Country: Burundi
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002CK0C1TZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Burundians gathered in a stadium in the capital Gitega on Friday (June 26) to pay their last respects to former president Pierre Nkurunziza.
Nkurunziza, who ruled the country for 15 years and was due to stand down in August, died at the aged 55 on June 9, of what the government said was "heart failure."
His wife, Denise Bucumi Nkurunziza watched, her head bowed, as his coffin was escorted through the stadium, under heavy security.
The country's new president Evariste Ndayishimiye, who was sworn in on June 18, was also among the mourners, many who were dressed in white as requested by the authorities.
Nkurunziza leaves behind a nation dotted with the unmarked graves of his political opponents and an economy in tatters.
(Production: Guy-Clovis Sibonyio, Nazanine Moshiri, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None