- Title: Robben comes out of retirement to sign for boyhood side Groningen
- Date: 27th June 2020
- Summary: BANNER SHOWING BAYERN MUNICH COAT OF ARMS WITH CUP AND BUNDESLIGA TITLE ON THE SIDES FANS CHEERING
- Embargoed: 11th July 2020 20:38
- Keywords: Arjen Robben FC Groningen Netherlands soccer
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Netherlands
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002CK5BD4V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Arjen Robben is seeking to make a sensational comeback to professional soccer after signing with his boyhood club FC Groningen for the 2020-21 season, the Dutch Eredivisie side said on Saturday (June 27).
Robben, 36, retired last year after winning his eighth Bundesliga title with Bayern Munich, but will now return to Groningen, where he made his professional debut as a 16-year-old in 2000.
The former Netherlands international, who has also played for Chelsea, PSV Eindhoven and Real Madrid, has won 12 league titles in a glittering career, and 96 caps for his country including playing in the 2010 World Cup final in Johannesburg.
More details are expected at a news conference, planned by the club for Sunday (June 28).
The Dutch season is set to start on Sept. 12, giving Robben more than two months of training.
(Production: Tim Hart)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.