- Title: Six months on, Wuhan residents hope worst of virus pandemic is over
- Date: 30th June 2020
- Summary: SCREEN SHOWING THERMAL BODY TEMPERATURE MONITOR FOR PEOPLE ENTERING BUILDING BUILDING STAFF MONITORING SCREEN SCREEN SHOWING THERMAL BODY TEMPERATURE MONITOR FOR PEOPLE ENTERING BUILDING
- Embargoed: 14th July 2020 09:43
- Keywords: COVID-19 China Wuhan coronavirus outbreak six month anniversary
- Location: WUHAN, CHINA
- City: WUHAN, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002CKK8BIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Life is returning back to normal in Wuhan with people flocking back to offices and wet markets to resume their daily lives in the hope that the worst of coronavirus outbreak has passed.
Tuesday (June 30) marks six months since China first reported cases of 'viral pneumonia' in Wuhan to World Health Organization (WHO) on December 31, 2019.
In Wuhan, the epicentre of China's coronavirus outbreak, traffic appeared to be gradually resuming on the streets and some people were seen walking about without masks.
"As time goes on, it's recovering slowly and it's basically gone for now. We have nothing to worry about when we come outside now. We will take off masks when we go to some places with low risk. Though we are told there is no need to wear masks in Wuhan, people still wear masks. People are getting used to it which is good. I still feel sad when talking about it." said a Wuhan resident, Pan Yuan.
China sealed off the city of 11 million people on January 23 to contain the coronavirus and the city's lockdown was lifted on April 8 to allow people to leave for the first time after 76 days. Wuhan conducted a city-wide nucleic acid testing for all of its 11 million residents over a period of 10 days amid fears of a resurge. But the situation has since stabilized.
Businesses, however, have yet to recover.
"No matter you do business or come out to work, it would be nice to have a job this year. We are not talking about making money," said a vegetable booth owner, Yang Liwen.
China reported 19 new confirmed coronavirus cases for June 29, up from 12 a day earlier, the country's health authority said on Monday (June 29). The total number of confirmed cases stood at 83,531 as of June 29, while the death toll stands at 4,634.
More than 10.3 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 504,269 have died.
(Production: Xihao Jiang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.