- Title: Timeline of Syrian conflict from 2019-2020
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: Dozens of relatives of foreign fighters including Iraqis, Turks, and Russians flee Islamic State's last bastion in eastern Syria on February 12 as the jihadists lose ground to U.S.-backed forces. The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which holds about a quarter of the country, has mounted an attack to seize the enclave with the help of U.S. air strikes. Roughly 1,500 civilians are evacuated by February 12, the head of media for the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) Mustafa Bal said. NEAR BAGHOUZ, SYRIA (FILE - FEBRUARY 12, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FAMILIES WALKING THROUGH FIELD AFTER FLEEING FROM BAGHOUZ SDF FIGHTER HELPING WOMAN CARRYING BAGS FAMILIES BOARDING TRUCKS CHILDREN SITTING ON SIDES OF TRUCK FAMILIES INSIDE TRUCK, CHILD WATCHING INSIDE TRUCK
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 15:50
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Assad Bashar al-Assad Donald Trump IS Iran Iranian supreme leader Islamic State Israel Russia Syria Trump Turkey UN US troops Vladimir Putin conflict insurgency rebels refugees
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA008CKB34G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The European Union and the United Nations will co-chair the fourth Syrian donor conference in Brussels on Tuesday (June 30), aimed at garnering support for victims of the country's nine-year war and surrounding countries hosting refugees.
The event will bring together, through video conference, around 80 delegates from neighbouring countries, partner countries, EU member states and international organisations.
Apart from raising funds, the EU said it hoped to get wide-ranging support for U.N.-led efforts to reach a sustained ceasefire.
As the Syrian war enters its 10th year, 6 million people are displaced outside Syria and 11 million are in need of humanitarian help across the country.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell will co-chair the ministerial section of the conference with U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock.
(Production: Paul Warren, Vanessa Romeo, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None