- Title: Timeline of Syrian conflict from 2019-2020
- Date: 28th June 2020
- Summary: Government troops patrolled in Maarat al-Numan on January 30, two days after Syrian state media first reported them entering the town, the second largest in Idlib, Syria. MAARAT AL-NUMAN, SYRIA (FILE - JANUARY 30, 2020) (REUTERS) ROAD SIGNS FOR MAARAT AL-NUMAN, TANK APPROACHING SYRIAN ARMY TANKS DRIVING SYRIAN ARMY SOLDIERS STANDING IN ROAD AS CONVOY DRIVES PAST SYRIAN ARMY SOLDIER IN TRUCK, SOLDIERS STANDING NEXT TO TRUCK
- Embargoed: 12th July 2020 15:50
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Assad Bashar al-Assad Donald Trump IS Iran Iranian supreme leader Islamic State Israel Russia Syria Trump Turkey UN US troops Vladimir Putin conflict insurgency rebels refugees
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA01ICKB34G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
The European Union and the United Nations will co-chair the fourth Syrian donor conference in Brussels on Tuesday (June 30), aimed at garnering support for victims of the country's nine-year war and surrounding countries hosting refugees.
The event will bring together, through video conference, around 80 delegates from neighbouring countries, partner countries, EU member states and international organisations.
Apart from raising funds, the EU said it hoped to get wide-ranging support for U.N.-led efforts to reach a sustained ceasefire.
As the Syrian war enters its 10th year, 6 million people are displaced outside Syria and 11 million are in need of humanitarian help across the country.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell will co-chair the ministerial section of the conference with U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock.
(Production: Paul Warren, Vanessa Romeo, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None