- Title: Devotees mark foundation day of temporal body of Sikhs in India with prayers
- Date: 1st July 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF DEVOTEES OFFERING PRAYERS AS OTHERS WALK PRIESTS SITTING DEVOTEES SEATED PRIESTS SITTING DECORATION PRIEST FANNING DEVOTEES SEATED
- Embargoed: 15th July 2020 08:26
- Keywords: Akal Takht Golden Temple India Sikhs devotees prayers temporal body of Sikhs
- Location: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- City: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002CKZ8ZF3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sikh devotees in India's northern Amritsar city marked the foundation day of temporal body of Sikhs, Akal Takht on Wednesday (July 1).
Devotees gathered at the holiest shrine of Sikhism, the Golden Temple, to offer prayers and attend the ceremony, where hymns were sung and respects were paid to their holy book, "Guru Granth Sahib" to mark the auspicious occasion.
Situated in the Golden Temple complex, the Akal Takht was established by the sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind, as a place where temporal issues of the community members could be taken into consideration.
Sikhs in India form about two per cent of over 1.25 billion population and are largely concentrated in the northern Indian state of Punjab and national capital New Delhi.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.