- Title: India's coronavirus cases cross 600,000 amid easing of lockdowns
- Date: 2nd July 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF LOK NAYAK HOSPITAL SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi): "ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY SERVICES (24 HRS) LOK NAYAK HOSPITAL" EXTERIOR OF ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY WARD SIGNBOARD READING (English): "EMERGENCY COVID 19 CARE CENTER" (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) INDIAN HEALTH MINISTER, HARSH VARDHAN, SAYING: "The number of cases in a country with 1.3 billion (people) is 600,000. If you compare with the world, then in reality you will feel it is very less and out of these 600,000 people, 360, 000 people were cured and they have gone to their homes." NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 01, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE, SOME WITH FACE MASKS, WALKING NEAR INDIA GATE WAR MEMORIAL ROAD AS OTHERS JOG PEOPLE WALKNG PEOPLE CYCLING PEOPLE WALKING PEOPLE JOGGING PEOPLE IN A VEGETABLE MARKET CUSTOMERS SELECTING LEMONS CROWD CUSTOMERS AT VEGETABLE STALLS TRAFFIC/PEOPLE WALKING NAGPUR, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JULY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) NAGPUR RESIDENT, LALIT BAKNE, SAYING: "Today the coronavirus condition is that the number has crossed the 200,000 mark (active cases) but at the personal level, if we do not take precautions then it may reach 500,000 to 10,00,000." NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SLUM AREA WOMAN STANDING MWN STANDING PEOPLE WALKING PEOPLE WALKING AS OTHERS STAND NAGPUR, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JULY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) NAGPUR RESIDENT, SANJAY VANVALI, SAYING: "I feel that the reason behind the rise in cases is that the people are not worrying much and roaming in the markets; not obeying social distancing rules. See (one should) keep (showing sanitizer) in their pockets, a sanitizer like this when you are exchanging currency notesâ€¦you are touching here and there and something happens by mistake, so one should wash their hands." KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA (JULY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) POLICEMAN REMOVING BARRICADE/VEHICLE PLYING VARIOUS OF STREETS BLOCKED WITH BARRICADES
- Embargoed: 16th July 2020 10:30
- Keywords: 000 cases 600 India coronavirus health hospital lockdown pandemic unlock
- Location: NEW DELHI/NAGPUR, MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/KOCHI, KERALA/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/NAGPUR, MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/KOCHI, KERALA/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL4B8LR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: India's coronavirus infections surpassed 600,000 on Thursday (July 02), with 17,834 deaths, as authorities battled to contain the pandemic while easing lockdown rules, officials and the health ministry said.
Fresh challenges to protect people from the virus emerged for disaster management officials in the northeast state of Assam amid torrential rainfall, where floods and landslides killed 57 people this week and more than 1.5 million were forced to flee their homes.
The fear of being quarantined in poorly maintained government facilities has discouraged people from getting tested, experts say, leading to fresh cases of COVID-19 even after the government imposed the world's longest lockdown.
An easing phase called "Unlock 2" was announced on Monday (June 29), allowing more economic activities to resume.
But the western state of Maharashtra reported a record jump of 5,537 coronavirus infections on Wednesday (July 01), prompting authorities to again impose a stringent lockdown in areas around the financial capital, Mumbai, forcing people to stop commuting in a city largely dependent on public transport.
The state accounts for more than a fifth of total infections in the country and nearly half of the deaths, has reported total to 180,297 infections including 8052 deaths so far.
In New Delhi, the total number of cases stands at 89,802.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None