- Title: Indiaâ€™s lock industry hit amid coronavirus pandemic, border tensions
- Date: 2nd July 2020
- Summary: ALIGARH, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JULY 1, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF WORKERS MAKING LOCKS AND KEYS USING MACHINES WORKER WEARING MASK LOOKING ON WORKERS WITH FACES COVERED WORKER MAKING KEYS MACHINE BEING OPERATED/WORKER MAKING KEYS WORKER WITH FACE COVERED LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LOCK FACTORY OWNER, MOHAMMAD ZAHID, SAYING: "The borders of Nepal that have been sealed and the relation with China that has been affected so (because of that), we are getting less orders and our suppliers do not have money so how will they give us payment." VARIOUS OF WORKERS MAKING KEYS AND LOCKS KEYS VARIOUS OF LOCKS VARIOUS OF WORKER MAKING LOCKS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) WORKER, SARAJUDDIN, SAYING: "We are facing problems in running our house as when a labourer would not get workâ€¦ we work for two or three days and somehow manage to run our house we used to get more work earlier but we do not have even 25% work now as compared to earlier." VARIOUS OF LOCKS AND KEYS
- Embargoed: 16th July 2020 08:05
- Keywords: China India Nepal border tensions coronavirus health key lock pandemic workers
- Location: ALIGARH, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: ALIGARH, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL4B68F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Lock industry workers in India's northern Aligarh city is facing the brunt of coronavirus pandemic as factory owners and workers are suffering losses in the absence of work.
With a fall in the number of orders due to the border being sealed with Nepal over coronavirus scare and tensions with China simmering following the clash where 20 Indian soldiers were killed, the people associated with the industry claim they are struggling to make ends meet.
"The borders of Nepal that have been sealed and the relation with China that has been affected so (because of that) we are getting less orders and our suppliers do not have money so how will they give us payment," said lock factory owner, Mohammad Zahid.
India, which lags only the United States, Brazil and Russia in total cases, reported a total of 604,641 cases on Thursday, according to data from the country's federal Health Ministry.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None