- Title: Indian policemen arrested over custody deaths of father and son
- Date: 2nd July 2020
- Summary: SATHANKULAM, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (JULY 1, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF CRIME BRANCH OFFICIALS DETAINING ACCUSED POLICEMEN (SOUNDBITE) (Tamil) CRIME BRANCH-CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION DEPARTMENT INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE, K. SHANKAR, SAYING: "The case has now been converted into murder in which we have arrested one sub-inspector. We are conducting further investigation into involvement of other officers in the case." MAN BURNING FIRECRACKER TO CELEBRATE ARREST OF ACCUSED CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (JULY 2, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (English) LAWMAKER FROM THOOTHUKUDI CONSTITUENCY, KANIMOZHI, SAYING: "I hopeâ€¦you know, they will not try to indulge in tampering of evidence and anything because the CB-CID (Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department) also has taken over. I hope the investigation goes in the right way, and, I think the most important thing after this is that we should all work together to stop these lock-up deaths." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS (SOUNDBITE) (Tamil) DEPUTY GENERAL SECRETARY OF REGIONAL VIDUTHALAI SIRUTHAIGAL PARTY, VANNI ARASU, SAYING: "In this case, the High Court, on its own taking suo motto (cognizance), directed fair investigations. It has also ordered a special CB-CID (Crime Branch- Criminal Investigation Department) probe into the matter and we believe that the investigations are going in the right direction. In this situation, if the case is transferred to CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation), it will only dilute the investigation that is already being done. Therefore, we demand the continuation of CB-CID probe." THOOTHUKUDI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (FILE - JUNE 22, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (NIGHT SHOTS) POLICEMEN AND OTHERS STANDING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF BODY OF MAN WHO ALLEGEDLY DIED IN POLICE CUSTODY BEING TAKEN ON STRETCHER POLICEMEN TALKING TO MAN POLICEMEN LOOKING AT PAPERS
- Embargoed: 16th July 2020 11:31
- Keywords: Chennai Father India Sathankulam Tamil Nadu crime custodial death justice law police son
- Location: SATHANKULAM, CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- City: SATHANKULAM, CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL4B9E7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
India has arrested five policemen over the deaths of a father and son in custody, a senior investigating official said on Thursday (July 02), following outrage that drew comparisons to the death of George Floyd in the United States.
Last week the men, J Jayaraj, 59, and Bennicks Immanuel, 31, were allegedly subjected to a brutal thrashing that resulted in rectal bleeding and eventual death, according to a letter to government officials written by Jayaraj's wife J Selvarani.
Hundreds of thousands of tweets were sent out using the hashtag #JusticeforJayarajandBennix, that was among the top Twitter topics trending in India last Friday and among the top 30 trending globally, with many comparing the deaths to that of George Floyd.
Bennicks died on Monday after complaining of breathlessness and Jayaraj died Tuesday, Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswami, who oversees the police in the state, said in a statement on Wednesday.
Police in Sathankulam, a town located 50 km (31 miles) south of the port city of Thoothukudi in southern Tamil Nadu state, said the duo were picked up for breaching coronavirus lockdown rules.
Nearly 15 cases of custodial violence and torture were reported daily on average, according to India's National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None