- Title: Egyptians enjoy coronavirus-shaped ice cream to cool down during summer
- Date: 3rd July 2020
- Summary: GIZA, EGYPT (JUNE 28, 2020) (REUTERS) TIMELAPSE OF WORKER MAKING CORONAVIRUS-SHAPED ICE CREAM (MUTE) MILK POURED ON PAN WORKER MAKING ICE CREAM WORKER WEARING FACE MASK WORKER DECORATING ICE CREAM WORKER PLACING FINISHED ICE CREAM ON GLASS TABLE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OWNER OF DESSERT SHOP THAT MAKES CORONAVIRUS-SHAPED ICE CREAM, HANY ISLAM, SAYING: "The coronavirus (pandemic) forced people to be confined in their homes, so we wanted to do something that lifts that burden off. This is also a way to show people that the coronavirus is not a monster, it is a virus just like any other virus, such influenza. If you take care, wear your gloves and mask, you won't catch the coronavirus and you'll be okay." VARIOUS OF WORKER, MAHMOUD ISLAM, MIXING ICE CREAM INGREDIENTS ON PAN UNFINISHED ICE CREAM (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) WORKER AT DESSERT SHOP, MAHMOUD ISLAM, SAYING: "People were of course scared at first. But after seeing this idea, they realised that there is no danger. On the contrary, we are trying to make people less scared with this ice cream. There was a good response." CUSTOMER ORDERING GROUP OF WOMEN SEATED WOMAN HOLDING MENU WOMEN SEATED AND WEARING MASKS VARIOUS OF WORKER DECORATING CORONAVIRUS-SHAPED ICE CREAM WORKER POURING SAUCE ON ICE CREAM (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CUSTOMER, ABDULLAH, SAYING: "Honestly, it is a very strange idea of course. I tried the coronavirus ice cream and it is great. The ingredients are all fresh. It is really great." VARIOUS OF ABDULLAH EATING ICE-CREAM DESSERT SHOP
- Embargoed: 17th July 2020 07:57
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus Coronavirus-shaped ice cream Egypt
- Location: GIZA, EGYPT
- City: GIZA, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL981UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As Egypt relaxed restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus, customers in a small shop in Egypt's Giza are indulging in cones filled with coronavirus-shaped ice cream.
While the pandemic has wrecked havoc worldwide, the shop owner hopes this newest creation would lessen people's fears while stressing the importance of maintaining proper health measures.
Hany Islam says he wanted to do something that brings joy after several difficult months confining people to their homes amid the coronavirus lockdown lockdown.
The shop's new dessert takes a round, multi-coloured shape, with thin chocolate sticks and sprinkles stuck to the surface, mimicking the spikes stemming from the outer layers of the virus - a famous microscopic image of the coronavirus causing the COVID-19 disease.
Mahmoud Islam, a skilled ice cream maker at the shop, says that some people felt uneasy about it at first, but quickly embraced it and gave positive feedback.
The shop's latest peculiar addition is drawing more customers in as the government lifts a night-time curfew and eases coronavirus restrictions.
Egypt has so far reported 65,188 confirmed coronavirus cases, including 2,789 deaths.
(Production: Sherif Fahmy, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None