- Title: U.S. sanctions will hit Huawei, UK decision not set in stone-minister
- Date: 6th July 2020
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (FILE - JUNE 1, 2019) (REUTERS) HUAWEI BOOTH AT THAILAND MOBILE EXPO VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN HUAWEI BOOTH TRYING OUT PRODUCTS HUAWEI SIGN AS PEOPLE WALK BARCELONA, SPAIN (FILE - FEBRUARY 23, 2016) (REUTERS) HUAWEI MATE X BEING FOLDED AT MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA (FILE - DECEMBER 5, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF HUAWEI BUILDING SIGN INSIDE HUAWEI CAMPUS READING (English): "5G PARK" SCREEN BELOW 5G PARK SIGN DISPLAYING HUAWEI PRODUCTS MUNICH, GERMANY (FILE - SEPTEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HUAWEI MATE 30 ON DISPLAY MAN PHOTOGRAPHING PHONE PEOPLE LOOKING AT DISPLAY TABLE OF PHONES
- Embargoed: 20th July 2020 08:24
- Keywords: Huawei UK
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND / BARCELONA, SPAIN / SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA / MUNICH, GERMANY
- City: BANGKOK, THAILAND / BARCELONA, SPAIN / SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA / MUNICH, GERMANY
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLO9HFX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. sanctions designed to restrict the ability of China's Huawei to source advanced microchips for 5G equipment is likely to have a significant impact on the reliability of the supplier, Britain's culture minister said on Monday (June 6).
Britain granted Huawei a limited role in its future 5G networks in January but officials at the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) have since studied the impact of the U.S. measures that were announced in May.
Britain's culture minister Oliver Dowden said he would not comment on reports that officials are drawing up proposals to stop installing Huawei equipment but said the UK decision was not "not fixed in stone."
He added that the US sanctions could have a significant impact on the reliability of Huawei equipment and whether Britain can use it safely.
(Production: Michael Fiorentino, Bharati Naik)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None