- Title: "It's not just a little flu". Brazilians jeer and cheer Covid-positive Bolsonaro
- Date: 7th July 2020
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (JULY 7, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT COPACABANA BEACH (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LOCAL, ADALBERTO LEUCACHO, SAYING: "And now he (Bolsonaro) is perfect. He says he took hydroxychloroquine. It's good, it is what he has been saying since the start about this medication and that it is being accepted. Many people still do not understand this medication, that it's a propaganda. Many lives are being saved and many have to follow this example. That's all I have to say about it." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ALONG BEACH (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LOCAL, SOANGE, SAYING: "I think he is going to get better. He has the best doctors and the best hospitals and he's going to say he was treated with hydroxychloroquine and that hydroxychloroquine cured him. It's something that I don't believe but I hope he's well." PEOPLE WALKING ALONG BEACH (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LOCAL, DIOGO ROCHA, SAYING: "Unfortunately, all the world is susceptible. We can't have any doubt over this. But we need to look after ourselves. I think he (Bolsonaro) put himself at risk a lot and unfortunately this happened." PEOPLE ON BEACH SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (JULY 7, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON BUSY FOOTPATH LINE OF PEOPLE TO ENTER SHOPPING CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LOCAL STREET VENDOR, JULIO CESAR, SAYING: "He (Bolsonaro) spoke of not catching it and he caught it. It is not just a little flu, like he was talking about. So there you have the proof on what he was talking about." (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LOCAL, WILSON DA CUNHA, SAYING: "He said it was a little flu and now he has to live with this little flu that he caught. The whole world is susceptible. In my opinion, I think the whole world already has coronavirus and now he has to live with the flu. He has a lot of medics to look after him, many people." PEDESTRIANS ON BUSY STREET PEOPLE AT ENTRANCE TO METRO STATION
- Embargoed: 21st July 2020 18:43
- Keywords: Brazil COVID-19 President Jair Bolsonaro Rio de Janeiro Sao Paulo coronavirus positive test
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO + SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- City: RIO DE JANEIRO + SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLTAR0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said on Tuesday (July 7) he tested positive for the novel coronavirus after months of playing down the severity of the virus and defying medical experts, even as the pandemic killed more than 65,000 people in his country.
The right-wing populist told a group of television reporters that he had developed symptoms at the weekend. Finishing the interview, he stepped back and removed his mask to reveal a smile, adding: "You can see from my face that I'm well and I'm calm."
Bolsonaro said he has been taking hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug with unproven effectiveness against COVID-19.
Bolsonaro has emulated his political role model Donald Trump in voicing scepticism about the virulence of the virus, although the U.S. president has moderated his tone.
Out on the street, some hailed Bolsonaro's resilience paving the way for a speedy recovery while others referenced the President's previous comments on coronavirus being a "little flu".
The positive test on Tuesday looks set to spark a frantic period of contact tracing and tests for those who met Bolsonaro in recent days, including Economy Minister Paulo Guedes, lender Banco Bradesco's Chairman Luiz Carlos Trabuco and planemaker Embraer's CEO Francisco Gomes Neto.
Over the weekend, Bolsonaro was also in close contact with U.S. Ambassador Todd Chapman during July 4 celebrations. Pictures showed neither wearing a mask.
Brazil has the world's second-largest outbreak behind the United States, with more than 1.6 million confirmed cases.
(Production: Pablo Garcia, Sebastian Rocandio, Leandra Camera, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None