- Title: Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan and son test positive for COVID-19
- Date: 12th July 2020
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PLACARD READING (HINDI): "LORD SHIVA PRAYERS FOR GOOD HEALTH OF AMITABH BACHCHAN" VARIOUS FANS POURING MIX OF MILK AND WATER IN 'SHIV LINGA', PHALLUS REPRESENTATION OF HINDU GOD SHIVA TEMPLE PRIEST CHANTING PRAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) AMITABH BACHCHAN FAN, SAYING: "We are praying to the god that Amitabh Bachchan recovers very soon and makes a comeback in the film industry and entertains us again." NEW DELHI, INDIA (FILE - APRIL 08, 2015) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SD) BACHCHAN WALKING TOWARD FORMER INDIAN PRESIDENT, PRANAB MUKHERJEE/BACHCHAN SHAKING HANDS WITH MUKHERJEE AND RECEIVING INDIA'S CIVILIAN AWARD, PADMA VIBHUSHAN BACHCHAN'S DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AND BOLLYWOOD ACTRESS, AISHWARYA RAI (IN PINK) AND SON ABHISHEK BACHCHAN (NEXT TO RAI) SITTING NEW DELHI, INDIA (FILE - DECEMBER 2014) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SD) VARIOUS OF BACHCHAN AND OTHERS MEETING INDIAN PRIME MINISTER NARENDRA MODI
- Embargoed: 26th July 2020 07:34
- Keywords: Abhishek Bachchan Amitabh Bachchan Bollywood COVID-19 India Maharashtra Mumbai actor coronavirus fans star
- Location: BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- City: BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- Country: India
- Reuters ID: LVA004CMI6Y4V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan, one of the most influential actors in the history of Indian cinema, and his son Abhishek Bachchan tested positive for COVID-19 and has been admitted to Mumbai's Nanavati hospital.
However, a hospital official and government health authorities later on Sunday (July 12) said both are in stable condition after testing positive for the coronavirus.
The 77-year-old legendary actor said in a tweet on Saturday (July 11) night that he had tested positive for the highly infectious virus.
Within minutes, his actor son Abhishek Bachchan, 44, tweeted that he had also tested positive.
Both were moved to the Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai despite showing only mild symptoms and the father-son duo appealed to their millions of fans to stay calm.
On Sunday, an official at Nanavati and government health officials in Mumbai said both the father and son were in stable condition. Reports were awaited on the condition of Amitabh Bachchan's wife Jaya and Abhishek's wife Aishwarya, both also highly regarded actors.
Meanwhile, civic authorities launched a massive sanitizing drill at Bachchan's upscale residence in Mumbai, spraying disinfectant in the large compound and on cars parked there.
A Bollywood legend, Amitabh Bachchan has been a prominent figure in the fight against the coronavirus by appearing in public service advertisements in which he urges people to wear a mask, wash hands frequently and maintain social distance in his trademark baritone.
India's film industry recently resumed film shoots after a months-long hiatus following the imposition of a nationwide lockdown in late March.
But actors over 65, such as Amitabh, are banned from the sets because of their vulnerability to the virus.
Coronavirus cases have been rising steadily in India. The disease has infected over 820,000 people and killed over 22,000 in the country, according to a Reuters tally.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None