- Title: Brazil's Bolsonaro ventures out to feed birds during Covid recovery
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF FLAG BEING FOLDED SOLIDER MARCHING WITH FOLDED FLAG
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 00:43
- Keywords: Brasilia Brazil Covid-19 Greater Rhea President Jair Bolsonaro bird coronavirus pandemic positive recovery virus
- Location: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA003CMN95QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro ventured out of his official residence on Monday (July 13) to feed birds as recovers from coronavirus.
Bolsonaro was seen stepping out onto the grounds of Alvorada Palace and threw feed to the Greater Rhea birds that wander around the property. The birds are South America's large flightless bird.
Bolsonaro has said he was "doing very well" after contracting the coronavirus, and credited an unproven drug for his mild symptoms.
The diagnosis looks to have done little to alter the 65-year-old former army captain's view of the illness, which he has dismissed in the past as just "a little flu". But since his quarantine in the Alvorada Palace, he has warned the elderly to protect themselves from the virus.
Bolsonaro's handling of the crisis has drawn criticism from public health experts as he fought state and city efforts to impose social distancing, arguing that the economic damage would be worse than the disease itself.
With more than 1.8 million confirmed cases, Brazil has the worst coronavirus outbreak outside the United States. The virus has killed over 72,000 people in Latin America's largest country.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None