- Title: Azeris call for national mobilization against Armenian attacks
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: BAKU, AZERBAIJAN (JULY 14-15, 2020) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS WALKING IN STREET, PROTESTER HOLDING AZERI FLAG, SHOUTING (Azeri): 'NAGORNO KARABAKH!' PROTESTERS SHOUTING (Azeri): 'MOBILISATION!' RIOT POLICE APPROACHING PROTESTERS PROTESTERS AND POLICE IN STREET POLICE PRESSING ON PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTEST VARIOUS OF POLICE DISPERSING PROTESTERS WITH WATER CANNON VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CLASHING WITH POLICE AZERI PARLIAMENT VARIOUS OF DAMAGED DECORATION INSIDE PARLIAMENT VARIOUS OF POLICE DETAINING PEOPLE PROTEST OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 08:25
- Keywords: Armania Azerbaijan military mobilisation police protest war
- Location: BAKU, AZERBAIJAN
- City: BAKU, AZERBAIJAN
- Country: Azerbaijan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMX7KG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Azeri police arrested dozens of people, who held a demonstration and broke into the parliament building in the early hours of Wednesday (July 15), Reuters correspondent reported.
Thousands of people held a march in the capital Baku as well as other cities late on Tuesday in solidarity with Azeri army, which clashed with neighbouring Armenia's armed forced on the border.
Several Azeri soldiers, including a major general, were killed in border clashes between countries that fought a war in the 1990s over the mountainous Nagorno-Karabakh region. There were casualties from the Armenian side as well.
Thousands of demonstrators gathered at the square outside the parliament and were shouting: "Karabakh!" "Our homeland is indivisible!"
More groups were gathered in other parts of the city.
Riot police used rubber batons and arrested dozens of demonstrators, who broke into the parliament building.
(Production: Anton Derbenev)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None