- Title: Four Kenyan health workers dead, COVID-19 infections rise in maternity hospital
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (JULY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) MORE EXTERIORS OF HOSPITAL PEOPLE WAITING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 14:13
- Keywords: Coronavirus Kenya health workers maternity
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA003CMX8SP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:COVID-19 has killed four Kenyan health workers and infected 450, the health ministry said on Wednesday (July 15), as word emerged of a slew of cases in Kenya's biggest maternity hospital.
At least 41 of the staff at Pumwani maternity hospital in the capital Nairobi have been infected, said Patrick Amoth, the acting director general of medical services at the ministry of health, adding that the cases were mild.
"Nobody has gone to hospital for care, and we are hopeful that they will be able to pull through without developing any symptoms of COVID," Amoth told the private Citizen TV on Tuesday (July 14).
Nairobi-based Doreen Lugaliki, who worked at a different Nairobi hospital, became Kenya's first doctor to die of the virus last week.
There was no immediate comment from the doctors and nurses unions.
Kenya has confirmed 11,252 confirmed of the disease and 209 deaths, the ministry said.
(Production: Baz Ratner, Nazanine Moshiri, Helena Williams, Bharati Naik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None