- Title: Tunisia PM's resignation triggers political crisis
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: TUNIS, TUNISIA (FILE - FEBRUARY 26, 2020) (REUTERS) FAKHFAKH ARRIVING IN PARLIAMENT / SHAKING HANDS WITH LAWMAKERS FAKHFAKH GOING TO GIVE SPEECH VARIOUS OF FAKHFAKH SITTING AND LISTENING TO PARLIAMENTARY SESSION TUNIS, TUNISIA (FILE - FEBRUARY 27, 2020) (REUTERS) PARLIAMENTARIANS CONGRATULATING FAKHFAKH AFTER WINNING CONFIDENCE VOTE TO FORM COALITION GOVERNMENT
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 19:31
- Keywords: Elyes Fakhfakh Tunisia Tunisia Prime Minister politics
- Location: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- City: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- Country: Tunisia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002CMX9BNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tunisian Prime Minister Elyes Fakhfakh stepped down on Wednesday (July 15), plunging the country into a political crisis as it tries to weather the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.
Fakhfakh presented his resignation to President Kais Saied, a government statement said. Political sources told Reuters Saied had asked him to do so as momentum grew in parliament to oust the prime minister over an alleged conflict of interest.
Saied must now choose a new candidate for prime minister, but parliament is deeply fragmented among rival parties and a failure to build another coalition would trigger an election.
The collapse of Fakhfakh's government less than five months after it was formed will further delay urgent economic reforms and complicate efforts to handle any new surge in coronavirus cases after Tunisia brought a first wave under control.
(Production: Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None