- Title: At least two killed after building collapses in Mumbai
- Date: 16th July 2020
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JULY 16, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) POLICEMEN, RESCUE WORKERS AND OTHERS AT BUILDING COLLAPSE SITE RESCUE WORKER STANDING ON DEBRIS OF COLLAPSED BUILDING VARIOUS OF RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY BUILDING /MAN STANDING IN BALCONY OF BUILDING RESCUE WORKERS STANDING ON DEBRIS PEOPLE AT COLLAPSE SITE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) CHIEF FIRE OFFICER, MAHARASHTRA FIRE SERVICE, PRABHAT RAHANGDALE, SAYING: "Two people are thereâ€¦ two are dead, two have been admitted. In all, 16 people have been rescued. Rescue operation to evacuate two persons is underway." VARIOUS OF WOMAN STUCK IN BUILDING LOOKING FROM WINDOW BUILDING/PEOPLE GATHERED NEAR BUILDING AMBULANCE ARRIVING COLLAPSED PORTION OF BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) EYEWITNESS, MOHAMMAD JAHANGIR, SAYING: "I was here only, I had come to take some stuff when the building collapsed at that time." (REPORTER ASKING-How did it fall?) This building is very weak. It is very old building and in this building, my friends are there and their partners are trapped there." BUILDING/RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY RESCUED PEOPLE BEING BROUGHT DOWN MORE OF RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY RESCUED PEOPLE BEING BROUGHT DOWN (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) MUMBAI RESIDENT, SAYING: "Everyone is coming out now." (REPORTER ASKING-Everyone is coming out. How many families were there uncle inside the building?) There were approximately 15 families." RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY RAINFALL CHIEF OF INDIA'S WESTERN MAHARASHTRA STATE, UDDHAV THACKERAY ARRIVING AT COLLAPSE SITE ALONG WITH OTHERS THACKERAY LOOKING ON RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY PEOPLE AT THE COLLAPSE SITE RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY PEOPLE AT THE SITE/BUILDING
- Embargoed: 30th July 2020 17:05
- Keywords: India Mumbai building collapse monsoon rains two killed weather
- Location: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN26GR3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least two persons were killed after a multi-storey building in India's financial capital, Mumbai, collapsed on Thursday (July 16) evening amid heavy rains in the city.
A dilapidated ground plus five floored structure in the south of the city was already undergoing repairs and residents had been asked to evacuate but five to six families continued to live there, said media reports.
"Two are dead, two have been admitted in all 16 people have been rescued, said Chief Fire Officer, Maharashtra Fire Service, Prabhat Rahangdale.
Each year in Mumbai a number of small and large instances of "too dangerous to live" structures collapse amid the heavy rainfall the city receives.
The city has had intense rains over the past few days. The India Meteorological Department (IMD) had issued an 'orange alert' in the city and its neighbouring areas which was upgraded to 'red' earlier in the day.
Eight fire engines, two rescue vans and ambulances rushed to the site of the collapse along with several officers, said officials.
The National Disaster Response Force was also at the site.
In a separate incident earlier in the day, another building collapsed in a western suburb of Malad, killing two and injuring several others.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None