- Title: Lebanese, French military clear rubble from large swathes of Beirut port
- Date: 26th August 2020
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON ( AUGUST 26, 2020) (REUTERS) DAMAGED SILOS IN BEIRUT PORT VARIOUS OF DAMAGED SILOS IN BEIRUT PORT VARIOUS OF BULLDOZER LIFTING UP DEBRIS (SOUNDBITE) (French ) FRENCH COMMANDER OF THE LAND GROUP, COLONEL ANTOINE DE LA BARDONNIE, SAYING: "My group is of 400 men, we been working since August 14th, the date when we docked here in Beirut's port. We have with us 150 vehicles and we are working together with the regiment of Colonel Haydar." VARIOUS OF MILITARY BOBCAT LIFTING DEBRIS VARIOUS OF BULLDOZER LIFTING DEBRIS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE COLONEL YOUSSEF HAYDAR, RESPONSIBLE FOR MILITARY UNIT CLEARING RUBBLE OF BEIRUT AFFECTED AREAS, SAYING: "Everything in the green area (referring to a map on the wall) is to lift debris, everything in red is to search for evidence, still under investigations, we're not working there, neither us nor the French, when the investigations speed up, we will start there." VARIOUS OF SHIPS IN BEIRUT PORT HELICOPTER FLYING OVER BEIRUT PORT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE COLONEL YOUSSEF HAYDAR, RESPONSIBLE FOR MILITARY UNIT CLEARING RUBBLE OF BEIRUT AFFECTED AREAS, SAYING: "On the 17th (of August), the first project with the French, was outside the port, we worked on Charles Helo area and held a press conference there, then in August 20 we worked on 2 schools: Three Doctors and Sacre Coeur in Achrafieh area and now as we speak they are working in Hikmeh school, result so far, 25 August, we have removed 7,800 tons of debris, re-opened all roads within the port - we will show picture from before of the damage and then now the cleaning spaces for containers and for the port to continue working." VARIOUS OF SHIPS IN BEIRUT PORT AS SEEN FROM SEA VARIOUS OF DAMAGED SILOS AND SHIP AS SEEN FROM THE SEA (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE COLONEL YOUSSEF HAYDAR, RESPONSIBLE FOR MILITARY UNIT CLEARING RUBBLE OF BEIRUT AFFECTED AREAS, SAYING: / SOUNDBITE STARTS WITH CLOSE UP OF MAP "Scrap metal debris is here, as you see on the map, and here is the debris (showing on the map). No amount of debris was taken outside of the port, everything is still here, it needs to be studied, the ministry of environment and European Union need to investigate it first before we decide what to do with it." VARIOUS OF DAMAGED SILOS AS SEEN FROM THE SEA VARIOUS OF RUBBLE IN BEIRUT PORT AS SEEN FROM THE SEA MORE OF DAMAGED SILOS AS SEEN FROM THE PORT
- Embargoed: 9th September 2020 15:16
- Keywords: France Lebanon aftermath blast rubble silos
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001CSW0NRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The commanders of a joint Lebanese-French operation said on Wednesday (August 26) their clear up efforts have rendered large parts of the roads of Beirut port usable again, as part of a first phase to allow the resumption of operations after a massive blast on August 4.
Lebanese armed forces in addition to a French military unit began working on clearing rubble and debris from the port on August 17 and efforts are still ongoing. The head of the army unit responsible for clearing rubble in the Lebanese army said none of the debris removed from the port will be taken out of the premises until the material is cleared by the ministry of environment and the European Union.
The army commander said the troops' role is so far to clear rubble and they have not been involved in the investigations yet.
(Production: Alaa Kanaan, Ayat Basm, Ahmad Kerdi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None