- Title: Pompeo says U.S. to mark settlement goods as "Made in Israel"
- Date: 19th November 2020
- Summary: SHAAR BINYAMIN SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (NOVEMBER 19, 2020) (REUTERS) ISRAELI HELICOPTER AT SKY CONVOY WITH U.S. DIPLOMAT VEHICLE SIGN OF PSAGOT WINERY ISRAELI AND U.S. FLAGS SIGN TO WELCOME U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE MIKE POMPEO TO AN ISRAELI SETTLEMENT VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SECURITY AT SCENE
- Embargoed: 3rd December 2020 14:29
- Keywords: Israel Psagot settlement U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo USA West Bank
- Location: SHAAR BINYAMIN SETTLEMENT, AL BIREH AND JORDAN VALLEY WEST BANK / JERUSALEM
- City: SHAAR BINYAMIN SETTLEMENT, AL BIREH AND JORDAN VALLEY WEST BANK / JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001D58H6PZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Mike Pompeo on Thursday (November 19) paid the first visit by a U.S. secretary of state to an Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank, in a parting show of solidarity with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by the outgoing Trump administration.
Palestinians accused Pompeo of helping Israel to cement its control over West Bank land that they seek for a state after he made a trip to Shaar Binyamin winery near the settlement of Psagot, just north of Jerusalem.
To Israel's delight and Palestinian dismay, Pompeo in 2019 broke with decades of American foreign policy to announce that the U.S. under President Donald Trump no longer viewed Israel's settlements as "inconsistent with international law".
Palestinians and much of the world regard Israel's West Bank settlements as illegal under international law.
After meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday morning Pompeo travelled to the West Bank to visit the settler winery, which has a blend named after him.
He also issued guidelines for Israeli products made in settlements to be labelled "Made in Israel" or "Product of Israel" when imported to the United States, removing the distinction between products made within Israel and those produced in occupied territory.
Pompeo's visit was a sharp departure from past U.S. policy that had kept top U.S. officials away from settlements, which Palestinians view as obstacles to a viable future state.
Pompeo said Washington would also step up action against pro-Palestinian efforts to isolate Israel economically and diplomatically.
Pompeo said. Supporters of BDS dispute that designation, saying they are against all forms of racism.
U.S.-based Human Rights Watch said Pompeo had falsely equated peaceful support for boycotts of Israel with antisemitism.
(Production: Rami Amichay, Ismael Khader, Adel Abu Nemeh, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None