- Title: China starts second phase of clinical trial for coronavirus vaccine
- Date: 15th April 2020
- Summary: WUHAN, CHINA (APRIL 13, 2020) (CCTV - NO USE CHINA) WUHAN RESIDENT XIONG ZHENGXING HEADING TO HOSPITAL XIONG WALKING IN HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF XIONG GETTING INJECTION OF VACCINE FOR CLINICAL TRIAL (PART AUDIO IN SHOT 3 IS SOUNDBITE FROM SHOT 4) (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) XIONG ZHENGXING, PARTICIPANT IN THE SECOND PHASE OF VACCINE CLINICAL TRIAL, SAYING (PART OVERLAID WITH SHOTS 3 AND 5): "Now everyone is fighting for the epidemic prevention. I also want to make some contribution so that I can feel peace in mind." WUHAN, CHINA (UNKNOWN DATE) (CCTV - NO USE CHINA) SAMPLE BEING INJECTED INTO TUBE VARIOUS OF RESEARCHER WORKING IN LABORATORY WUHAN, CHINA (APRIL 12, 2020) (CCTV - NO USE CHINA) (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHEN WEI, RESEARCHER OF CHINA'S ACADEMY OF MILITARY MEDICAL SCIENCES, SAYING (PART OVERLAID WITH SHOT 8 AT THE BEGINNING OF SOUNDBITE): "Compared with the first-phase clinical trial, our second-phase clinical trial in particular removes the age limit (of participants). It allows volunteers above 60 years old to participate. Many COVID-19 patients in critical condition are elderly, and the vaccine should provide a safety shield for them." VARIOUS OF MEDICAL STAFF GIVING PARTICIPANTS INJECTION OF VACCINE HAND HOLDING VIAL OF VACCINE MEDICAL STAFF GIVING VACCINE TO A WOMAN VARIOUS OF STAFF CHECKING PAPERWORK AND GIVING VACCINE TO A MAN VOLUNTEERS WAITING IN LINE MEDICAL STAFF MEASURING PARTICIPANTS' BLOOD PRESSURE VARIOUS OF MEDICAL STAFF PREPARING AND INJECTING VACCINE FOR PARTICIPANTS VARIOUS OF MEDICAL STAFF AND VOLUNTEERS AT HOSPITAL EXTERIOR VARIOUS OF MEDICAL STAFF CHECKING PAPERWORK WITH VOLUNTEERS BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR PARTICIPANT GETTING CT SCAN
- Embargoed: 29th April 2020 00:00
- Keywords: China, Wuhan, clinical trial, coronavirus, injection, vaccine, volunteers
- Access Restrictions:This media cannot be downloaded as there may be copyright restrictions. Please contact us for more information
- Location: WUHAN, CHINA
- Country: CHINA
- Topics: HEALTH/MEDICINE
- Reuters ID: LVA001C9LOJ7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:China started the second phase of clinical trial on Sunday (April 12) for a coronavirus vaccine in Wuhan, involving 500 volunteer participants who were injected with the vaccine.
Among them, is a 84-year-old Wuhan resident Xiong Zhengxing.
"Now everyone is fighting for the epidemic prevention. I also want to make some contribution so that I can feel peace in mind," said Xiong.
The trial is conducted by researchers at China's Academy of Military Medical Sciences, affiliated to the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) which received the approval in March.
According to lead researcher Chen Wei, the second phase of the clinical trial has removed the age limit, allowing volunteers above 60 years old to participate.
As China fights to prevent a second wave of coronavirus infections, two more experimental vaccines will be tested on humans, said the Xinhua state news agency on Tuesday (April 14).
They are being developed by a Beijing-based unit of Nasdaq-listed Sinovac Biotech and by the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products, an affiliate of state-owned China National Pharmaceutical Group.
(Production: Irene Wang)
- Copyright Holder: CCTV (China)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Broadcasters: NO USE CHINA Digital: NO USE CHINA. For Reuters customers only.