- Title: Palestinians flee after Israeli strike on Gaza building
- Date: 11th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 11, 2021) (REUTERS) SMOKE BILLOWING AS BUILDING TARGETED
- Embargoed: 25th May 2021 10:23
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians ambulance building dead smoke wounded
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECIPD1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
An Israeli strike killed three Islamic Jihad members in a residential building in Gaza city on Tuesday (May 11), the militant group said.
A Reuters video showed crying women and children fleeing from the scene.
Palestinian militants fired barrages of rockets into Israel, which pounded Gaza from the air and called up military and police reinforcements on Tuesday as unrest over Jerusalem escalated.
A Palestinian official said Egypt, Qatar and the United Nations were trying to intervene to stem the violence - the worst in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict since 2019 - ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan's conclusion with Eid al-Fitr.
The Gaza health ministry said 25 Palestinians, including nine children, had been killed and 108 wounded by Israeli strikes in the destitute enclave since clashes surged on Monday (May 10).
Israel disputed the account, saying it had killed at least 15 fighters from Gaza's dominant Islamist faction Hamas and that a third of the around 250 rockets launched by militants had fallen short, causing Palestinian civilian casualties.
Police said 31 people were hurt by rocket strikes in southern Israel, though the military said its air defences were intercepting around 90% of the cross-border launches.
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Fadi Shana, Arafat Barbakh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None