- Title: Explosions light up Gaza skyline as conflict intensifies
- Date: 13th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 14, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ROCKETS SEEN IN SKY VARIOUS OF EXPLOSIONS LIGHTING UP GAZA CITY SKYLINE BUILDINGS IN CITY (AUDIO OF EXPLOSION) VARIOUS OF EXPLOSIONS LIGHTING UP SKYLINE EXPLOSION ILLUMINATES BUILDINGS (AUDIO OF EXPLOSION)
- Embargoed: 27th May 2021 22:40
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians rockets skyline
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECSRM13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Large explosions shook Gaza City early on Friday (May 14) morning as Israel kept up a punishing bombing campaign in the Gaza Strip and massed tanks and troops on the enclave's border.
The sound of several blasts could be heard booming through the city in Reuters footage as flashes illuminated the skyline.
Four days of cross-border fighting showed no sign of abating, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the campaign "will take more time". Israeli officials said Gaza's ruling Hamas group must be dealt a strong deterring blow before any ceasefire.
At least 103 people have been killed in Gaza, including 27 children, over the past four days, Palestinian medical officials said. On Thursday (May 13) alone, 49 Palestinians were killed in the enclave, the highest single-day figure since Monday (May 10).
Seven people have been killed in Israel: a soldier patrolling the Gaza border, five Israeli civilians, including two children, and an Indian worker, Israeli authorities said.
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None