- Title: WRAP: Israel-Hamas violence enters second week with no sign of end
- Date: 17th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 16, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) FLASH AND SMOKE AMONG BUILDINGS IN GAZA AFTER ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE AUDIO OF BANGS FROM EXPLOSIONS/ROCKETS ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER AREA, ISRAEL (MAY 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELI HEAVY ARTILLERY FIRING AT GAZA GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE BILLOWING ABOVE GAZA CITY AFTER EXPLOSIONS JABALIYA, GAZA (MAY 17, 2021) (REUTERS) FIREFIGHTER HOLDING WATER HOSE OVER SHOULDER, PUTTING OUT FIRE FIRE IN FACTORY BEING PUT OUT WATER HOSE OVER THE FACTORY BUILDING FIREFIGHTERS AT THE SCENE, ONE FIREFIGHTER BEING HELPED OUT FACTORY ON FIRE AFTER IT WAS HIT BY ISRAEL FIREFIGHTERS PUTTING OUT FIRE GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 17, 2021) (REUTERS) FIRE BURNING ON SITE OF AIRSTRIKE, MALDIVES RESTAURANT IN GAZA CITY SMOKE RISING FROM BURNT RESTAURANT FIRE AND FUMES RISING FROM DESTROYED RESTAURANT COVERED STRETCHER BEING CARRIED OVER RUBBLE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AROUND CAR HIT IN AN ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE KILLING A TOP ISLAMIC JIHAD COMMANDER VIEW OF DESTROYED ROAD DESTROYED CAR IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA RESIDENT, ZUHAIR ALBARQUNI, SAYING: "The airstrikes went on since last night, at 2:30 at night, they kept bombing and bombing, on houses and roads, they destroyed the roads, they could not get to the resistance, they should hit those who hit them, they shouldn't hit the poor people sleeping in their homes." RAFAH, GAZA (MAY 17, 2021) (REUTERS) AMBULANCE BY THE HOUSE OF AL-QADI, BODY OF DEAD PERSON CARRIED ON STRETCHER PEOPLE HUGGING MEMBER OF AL-QADI FAMILY DURING FUNERAL VARIOUS OF CHILDREN CRYING DURING FUNERAL WOMEN DURING FUNERAL PEOPLE RUNNING THROUGH STREET CARRYING BODIES OF SAMEH AL-QADI AND TAREQ ALQADI FOR FUNERAL VARIOUS OF MEN CHANTING DURING FUNERAL FUNERAL PASSING THROUGH STREET ASHDOD, ISRAEL (MAY 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELI POLICE AND PARAMEDICS WHERE GAZA ROCKET HIT BUILDING ISRAELI POLICE GOING THROUGH RUBBLE WOUNDED MAN AT SCENE OF ATTACK SAYING SARCASTICALLY (Hebrew): "Fireworks happened." FIREMEN PUTTING OUT FIRE VIEW OF BUILDING DESTROYED BY GAZA ROCKET MAN EXAMINING DAMAGE INSIDE BUILDING ISRAELI POLICE PICKING UP DOG AT SCENE VIEW OF DAMAGED BUILDING VARIOUS OF POLICE AT SCENE OF GAZA ROCKET ASHKELON, ISRAEL (MAY 17, 2021) (REUTERS) ISRAELI PRAYING AT SYNAGOGUE WITH HOLE IN WALL FROM GAZA ROCKET HOLE IN WALL AT SYNAGOGUE MEN PRAYING PERSON READING RELIGIOUS TEXT VARIOUS OF MEN IN SYNAGOGUE EXTERIOR OF SYNAGOGUE (SOUNDBITE) (English) RESIDENT OF ASHKELON, RACHELI MALKA, SAYING: "I heard the voice, I heard it very hard. I was sure it was close but I didn't think that it was so close to us, and we have a very bad time over here, a very bad time over here. I hope the army will do his work and they will go on doing it again. It is a very sad time for us over here in Ashkelon, we are always bombing. I hope it will finish fast." (SOUNDBITE) (Hebrew) RESIDENT OF ASHKELON, OSHER BUGAM, SAYING: "The situation is bad, it could be better after we are done annoying them over there. We have to continue the war until there is a long-term ceasefire, that is not temporary, for a month, half a year or a year."
- Embargoed: 31st May 2021 13:56
- Keywords: Antony Blinken Gaza Hamas Israel Palestine violence
- Location: JABALIYA, RAFAH AND GAZA CITY, GAZA / ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER AREA, ASHDOD AND ASHKELON, ISRAEL / COPENHAGEN, DENMARK / BEIJING, CHINA / BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: JABALIYA, RAFAH AND GAZA CITY, GAZA / ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER AREA, ASHDOD AND ASHKELON, ISRAEL / COPENHAGEN, DENMARK / BEIJING, CHINA / BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001EDCPHDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF MATERIAL THAT HAS ALREADY MOVED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH MATERIAL
The conflict between Israel and Palestinians entered a second week on Monday (May 17) with no sign of stopping as U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken urged all parties to protect civilians.
Blinken said the United States is working "intensively" to an end to the violence. Blinken made the comments at a joint briefing with Denmark's foreign minister in Copenhagen.
Meanwhile, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, Zhao Lijian, said China condemned the acts of violence against civilians and urged both sides to stop fighting.
Germany said events in recent days had shown why the European Union lists the Palestinian organisation as a "terror" group.
Fighting spilled into a second week as Israel killed a senior Palestinian militant commander in Gaza on Monday in airstrikes which it said also targeted underground tunnels used by Hamas, and Islamist groups renewed rocket attacks on Israeli cities.
The death of Hussam Abu Harbeed, Islamic Jihad's armed commander for north Gaza, was likely to draw a fierce response from the militant group that is fighting alongside Hamas, the Islamist movement that governs the coastal enclave.
Hamas began its rocket assault last Monday (May 10) after tensions over a court case to evict several Palestinian families in East Jerusalem and in retaliation for Israeli police clashes with Palestinians near the city's al-Aqsa Mosque, Islam's third holiest site.
Regional and international diplomatic efforts have yet to show any signs of halting hostilities.
(Production: Paul Warren, Mindy Burrows)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None