- Title: Prince Harry gives address to winners of The Diana Award
- Date: 29th June 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - DECEMBER 12, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF WILLIAM AND HARRY ARRIVING FOR PREMIERE OF 'STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI'
- Embargoed: 13th July 2021 15:59
- Keywords: Prince Harry Prince William Princess Diana The Diana Award statue
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA001EJGGTAF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: With a few days to go until a statue honouring the late Princess Diana is unveiled, Prince Harry has praised recipients of The Diana Award, saying his mother believed ''young people have the power to change the world''.
Addressing the virtual ceremony on Monday (June 28), which saw 300 changemakers from around the world recognised, speaking in a pre-recorded message, Harry said;
''To all the 2021 Diana Award recipients, thank you for inspiring us with your brilliance, your determination and your compassion, your actions hold the potential to leave a life changing impact. You are putting the 'do's' behind the 'say's', and this is the personification of our mother's legacy.''
The Diana Award was set up by the British Government in 1999 to continue Diana's legacy, the charity's website says and this year's virtual ceremony ties in with the build-up to what would have been her 60th birthday.
In his opening comments, Harry also mentioned his mum's birthday on July 01, and his brother Prince William, saying: ''Later this week, my brother and I are recognising what would have been our mum's sixtieth birthday.''
For most of their lives, William and Harry have been close, united by the shared pain and trauma of losing their mother, who died aged 36 in a 1997 Paris car crash when William was 15 and Harry 12.
But since Harry's 2018 wedding to his American actress wife Meghan, relations between them have soured and an explosive interview that the couple gave chat show host Oprah Winfrey in March marked a new low.
It's expected all eyes will be on the pair on Thursday (July 1) when they will be seen together.
Speaking of the importance of the work the winners of The Diana Award are doing, Harry told them: 'There is great need for young leadership and there is no greater time to be a young leader. I believe in you... And that belief in your own ability to change the world in doing the right thing is what makes you a force to be reckoned with.''
(Production: Sarah Mills)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None