- Title: U.S. Secretary of State Blinken meets Iraqi Foreign Minister
- Date: 23rd July 2021
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 23, 2021) (STATE TV) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE ANTONY BLINKEN AND IRAQI FOREIGN MINISTER DR. FAUD HUSSEIN WALKING INTO TOGETHER AND FACING THE CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE ANTONY BLINKEN SAYING: "We are of course the closest of partners in the fight against ISIS and we can take tremendous pride in what we have done together to defeat ISIS, to make sure it stays defeated." BLINKEN, HUSSEIN WALKING OFF
- Embargoed: 6th August 2021 16:24
- Keywords: Blinken Iraq
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EN2BC5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S Secretary of State Antony Blinken met Iraqi foreign minister Dr. Fuad Hussein at the State Department on Friday (July 23) ahead of discussions on the role of the U.S. military in Iraq.
The United States and Iraq are expected to formalize the end of Washington's combat mission in Iraq by the end of the year and continue the transition toward training and advising Iraqi forces, U.S. officials said on Thursday.
There are currently 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq focusing on countering the remnants of Islamic State. The move is not expected to have a major impact since the United States has already moved toward focusing on training Iraqi forces.
President Joe Biden meets his Iraqi counterpart, Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, in Washington next week.
(Production: Pavithra George)
- Copyright Holder: STATE DEPARTMENT TV
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None