- Title: Biden picks Caroline Kennedy as U.S. ambassador to Australia, CNN reports
- Date: 23rd July 2021
- Summary: SURU CITY, YAMANASHI PREFECTURE, JAPAN (FILE - APRIL 12, 2014) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE AND U.S. AMBASSADOR TO JAPAN CAROLINE KENNEDY WALKING INTO MAGLEV AND SITTING DOWN KENNEDY LOOKING AROUND KENNEDY AND ABE RIDING TRAIN TOKYO, JAPAN (NOVEMBER 27, 2013) (REUTERS) BIRTHDAY CAKE PRESENTED TO KENNEDY
- Embargoed: 6th August 2021 20:33
- Keywords: Biden Caroline Kennedy JFK Kennedy family U.S. Ambassador to Japan U.S. ambassador to Australia diplomacy
- Location: TOKYO, SURU CITY, YAMANASHI PREFECTURE, JAPAN; WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION,
- City: TOKYO, SURU CITY, YAMANASHI PREFECTURE, JAPAN; WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION,
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA003EN2BWP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Joe Biden plans to nominate Caroline Kennedy, daughter of late President John F. Kennedy, as the American ambassador to Australia, CNN reported on Friday (July 23), citing three unidentified people familiar with the process.
The White House did not immediately return a request for comment on the report.
Kennedy threw her support behind Biden's 2020 presidential campaign in February of that year, writing that the former vice president was more prepared for the job than his rivals.
Kennedy previously served as U.S. ambassador to Japan under Democratic President Barack Obama. The first female U.S. ambassador to Japan, Kennedy was an early and prominent supporter of Obama in his initial quest for the presidency in 2008, and also campaigned for him.
(Production: Deborah Lutterbeck)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None