- Title: Olympics - Organisers report 17 more Games-related COVID-19 cases
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: CHINESE ATHLETES WALKING OUT OF VILLAGE PAST OLYMPIC RINGS
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 05:50
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus Japan Olympics Tokyo 2020 athletes
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002EOL6K3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tokyo Olympics organisers reported on Monday (August 2) 17 new Games-related COVID-19 cases including one athlete, bringing the total number since July 1 to 276.
Japan's Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and Olympics organisers have denied there is any link between the recent sharp spike in cases and the Tokyo 2020 Games. Suga also told a news conference the virus is spreading at an unprecedented speed largely because of Delta variant, adding he is worried the country's hospital beds could become stretched.
Japan widened its state of emergency on Saturday (July 31) to three prefectures near Tokyo as COVID-19 cases jump in the capital and around the country, extending it till August 31.
(Production: Martin Pollard, Pak Yiu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.