- Title: Lucky few reflect on indoor Tokyo 2020 experience
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: TOKYO 2020 MASCOT
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 14:45
- Keywords: COVID-19 Olympics Tokyo 2020 coronavirus fans supporters track cycling
- Location: IZU, JAPAN
- City: IZU, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002EOL79DZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Fans were thanking their lucky stars after being part of a privileged crowd who got to watch the Tokyo Olympics at an indoor venue on Monday (August 2).
The games have taken place mainly behind closed doors since beginning more than a week ago.
Spectators have lined the streets at road races and cycling events, but all have taken place outdoors and on public roads.
But the Olympic velodrome is in Shizuoka Prefecture, around two and half hours from Tokyo by train or car, where anti-Coronavirus measures are not as strict as the state of emergency the capital is currently under.
The velodrome was allowed to operate at around 50% capacity, meaning up to 1,800 fans got in, although numbers appeared lower.
A mainly Japanese crowd were joined by a handful of foreigners who live in the country.
They witnessed a new Olympic record in the men's team pursuit from favourites Denmark, and China taking gold in the women's team sprint.
(Production: Xihao Jiang and Iain Axon)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.