- Title: Olympics-Biles to compete in balance beam final
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (AUGUST 2, 2021) (REUTERS) UNITED STATES (U.S.) GYMNAST, SIMONE BILES (WEARING A WHITE 'TEAM USA' T-SHIRT), WALKING OUT OF THE HOTEL WITH THE U.S. TEAM / BILES WALKING PAST CAMERA / BILES WAVING TO CAMERA BILES BEHIND FENCE WALKING TO THE ARIAKE GYMNASTICS CENTRE ARIAKE GYMNASTICS CENTRE
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 07:31
- Keywords: Olympics Simone Biles Tokyo Tokyo 2020 gymnastics mental health
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EOL6R7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Simone Biles will compete in Tuesday's (August 3) balance beam final, the last women's event on the Tokyo Olympics gymnastics schedule, officials confirmed on Monday (August 2).
"We are so excited to confirm that you will see two U.S. athletes in the balance beam final tomorrow - Suni Lee AND Simone Biles!! Can't wait to watch you both!" USA Gymnastics said in a statement.
It will be the first time the American will be seen competing in Tokyo following her withdrawal from last Tuesday's (July 27) women's team final after her opening vault, citing mental health issues.
The 24-year-old American, who won four golds at the 2016 Rio Games, dropped out of the all-around, floor exercise, vault and asymmetric bars finals.
Biles has suffered a crisis of confidence in Tokyo as she dealt with the "twisties" -- where gymnasts are disoriented during their gravity-defying sequences.
But she appeared in good spirits when she walked from her hotel to the Ariake Gymnastics Centre on Monday, where she has, despite not competing, been a constant presence over the past week supporting her U.S. team mates.
Biles is the reigning world champion on the beam and picked up an Olympic bronze on the apparatus in Rio.
(Production: Kohei Miyazaki, Tim Hart, Ursa Presern, Ilze Filks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None