- Title: Pope greatly pained by murder of French priest
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: NANTES, FRANCE (JULY 18, 2020) (REUTERS) FIRE DAMAGED FACADE OF NANTES CATHEDRAL WITH SMOKE RISING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING AT CATHEDRAL FIREFIGHTERS OUTSIDE CATHEDRAL VARIOUS OF BLACKENED CATHEDRAL FACADE WITH SMOKE RISING
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 09:37
- Keywords: Father Olivier Maire French priest murdered Pope Francis murdered priest pope vatican
- Location: VATICAN CITY AND NANTES, FRANCE
- City: VATICAN CITY AND NANTES, FRANCE
- Country: Various
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA002EPU5IRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Pope Francis said on Wednesday (August 11) that he was greatly pained by the murder of a French priest, allegedly by a Rwandan immigrant already under investigation for setting the Nantes cathedral on fire last year.
Father Olivier Maire, 60, head of the Montfortain Missionary Order at Saint-Laurent-sur-Sevre, was found dead in a room of the abbey.
"It was with great pain that I learned of the murder ...", Francis told French tourists and pilgrims at his weekly general audience.
He expressed his condolences to the members of the order, to the priest's family, and to all French Catholics.
"I assure you of my participation (in the mourning) and my spiritual closeness," he said.
The 40-year-old man surrendered to police on Monday and admitted to killing the head of the religious congregation where he was staying as he awaited trial for the cathedral fire.
La Roche-sur-Yon prosecutor Yannick Le Goater told reporters police had found Maire's body in a room to which the suspect had given them the key.
Following the cathedral fire in July 2020, the suspect was held in detention until late May when he was then released under judicial supervision and placed in the abbey, the prosecutor said.
After talking about wanting to leave, he was transferred to a psychiatric hospital where he stayed until the end of July.
(Production: Antonio Denti, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None