- Title: Algerian villagers desperately battle wildfires ravaging countryside
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: ACHALLAM, TIZI OUZOU, ALGERIA (AUGUST 11, 2021) (REUTERS) ALGERIAN VILLAGERS CARRYING HOSE NEAR FIRE, FIRE BURNING TREES IN BACKGROUND / VILLAGERS MOVING BACK FROM FIRE VARIOUS OF VILLAGERS USING WATER HOSES AND TREE BRANCHES TO TACKLE FLAMES VARIOUS OF FLAMES BURNING IN FORESTED AREA VILLAGERS GATHERED ON THE ROAD VARIOUS OF VILLAGERS USING WATER HOSES TO TACKLE FLAMES VARIOUS OF VILLAGERS WATCHING FLAMES AND SMOKE RISING (SOUNDBITE) (French) VILLAGER, HAKIM HADJ SAID SAYING: â€œWe are watching the fire to try to prevent it from spreading further but it seems to be impossible, and now it reached our zone. All olive trees are burning, may God protect because itâ€™s near the village.â€ VARIOUS OF VILLAGERS GATHERED (SOUNDBITE) (Tamazigh) VILLAGER, SI HAMDI KAMEL, SAYING: â€œWe donâ€™t have tools, we are trying with what we have to put it out. itâ€™ will be hard with the wind, we will try with what have, we canâ€™t do anything else, only try to protect the houses. May God be with usâ€ VARIOUS OF VILLAGERS WATCHING FIRE VARIOUS OF FLAMES BURNING
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 23:15
- Keywords: 65 people dead Algeria fires wildifres
- Location: ACHALLAM, TIZI OUZOU, ALGERIA
- City: ACHALLAM, TIZI OUZOU, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Africa,Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPU7BK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS NOTE: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Villagers in northern Algeria desperately use water hoses and tree branches to battle encroaching wildfires which have left 65 people dead as of Wednesday (August 11).
The government has deployed the army to help fight the fires, which have burnt most fiercely in the mountainous Kabylie region, 28 of the dead are soldiers.
The worst-hit area has been Tizi Ouzou where houses have burned and residents fled to shelter in hotels, hostels, and university accommodation in nearby towns.
â€œWe are watching the fire to try to prevent it from spreading further but it seems to be impossible,'' said Hakim Hadj who was among the many trying to battle the blaze.
President Abdelmadjid Tebboune declared three days of national mourning and froze state activities not related to the fires.
(Production: Abdelaziz Boumzar, Thawab Herzallah, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None