- Title: Security forces kill militant in Indian Kashmir encounter
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: KULGAM, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (AUGUST 13, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF ARMED SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING ON GUARD/GUN IN HANDS OF SOLDIER (SOUNDBITE)(Hindi) INSPECTOR GENERAL, JAMMU AND KASHMIR POLICE, VIJAY KUMAR, SAYING: "The body of a Pakistani militant, named Usman was found in the search operation that was carried out today in the morning. He was active for the past six months. Many things (arms and ammunition) have been recovered from there including, AK-47, magazines, grenade, RPG (rocket-propelled grenade). This incident shows he was about to carry a big attack." PARKED MILITARY VEHICLES
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 08:01
- Keywords: India Jammu and Kashmir Kulgam encounter militant security forces
- Location: KULGAM, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- City: KULGAM, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ44AXB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Security forces gunned down a militant in India's northern Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir region during an encounter, police said on Friday (August 13).
The encounter started after militants fired upon security personnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway. The security forces retaliated and a militant was killed.
The militant, identified as Usman was affiliated to Pakistan-based terror organization Lashkar-e-Taiba and had been active for six months.
AK-47, magazines, grenade, RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) were recovered from the site.
"This incident shows he was about to carry a big attack," said Inspector General, Jammu and Kashmir Police, Vijay Kumar.
Kashmir is a Muslim-majority region at the heart of decades of hostility between India and Pakistan. India accuses Pakistan of supporting militancy in the area. Pakistan denies the charge saying their support is only moral and not financial or logistical.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None